13.

“Atsunī-san, let me do your make-up!”

Atsushi looked up in surprise, letting Kumo slip out of his arms and run into the other room. “E-Elise-chan, I don't think that's such a good idea. Besides, we don't have any make-up here,” the white-haired boy told her while raising his hands defensively.

The blonde girl just smile and ruffled through the small backpack that she had brought with her. “That's okay. I asked Rintarō-san to pack some for me."

Just as Elise pulled out some eyeshadow, the doorbell rang and Atsushi sighed in relief as he went to go answer. He pulled the door open and was surprised to see Higuchi standing to greet him with a bright smile and Akutagawa lurking silently behind her.

“Higuchi? What are you and Akutagawa doing here?” The white-haired boy asked with furrowed brows.

Higuchi smiled brightly and stuffed her hands into the pockets of her dress. “Well, I felt bad that we couldn't all go out together, so I wanted to know if we could just take your sister with us?”

Atsushi felt wary about the suggestion but it would also be good for Elise to actually go out instead of being cooped up. He was about to reply but looked towards Akutagawa and pursed his lips but the dark-haired boy shrugged–almost as if he could care less about what was happening.

“Alright,” he sighed and Higuchi's smile only seemed to widen–if that was even possible, “but I'll have to call her dad first and let him know.”

The blonde frowned in confusion at that and was about to ask a question when the sound of hissing came from the lounge. Atsushi huffed irritably, motioning for his two friends to come inside and left as they removed their shoes.

Akutagawa looked around as they walked in, admiring the simple interior of the house and stopped when he saw a framed picture. It was Atsushi standing with Fukuzawa, the older man with a small smile on his face while the former had a happy yet awkward grin.

Cute.

The dark-haired male continued to walk on into the lounge and frowned at Nakajima who was holding a white cat with pink stains on its fur.

“Hey! I was still playing with the cat,” Elise protested loudly while stomping her foot.

Atsushi frowned. “I know that but you shouldn't put make-up on pets. Look at how unhappy Kumo is,” he stated and almost as if to prove a point, the cat began to whine while glaring at the small girl.

Elise stomped her foot as she glared up at the older boy. “You never want me to have my way!”

Ew. Children. Akutagawa thought while rolling his eyes as the small girl's complaints only seemed to continue while the siblings argued back and forth.

Kumo was also seeming to get bored of the ongoing rambling and jumped out of Atsushi's arms, walking to another part of the house. The white-haired boy soon sighed and gave up and folded his arms across his chest.

“Of course you won't get your way with me, I'm not Mori-san who will just give you whatever you want when you ask for it.”

“That's not fair!”

“Nothing is fair, Elise,” Atsushi told her calmly. “You promised Mori-san that you'd be good today but you're already acting out. So, stop it, okay?”

Elise wanted to say something but bit back her words when an embarrassed blush dusted her cheeks after realising that she was being a brat in front of other people. “Fine. I'm sorry,” she mumbled under her breath.

Atsushi ruffled her hair and turned back to his friends with an uncomfortable smile. “Sorry about that...”

“Oh no, it's okay,” Higuchi said as she awkwardly raised her hands and shook her head. Akutagawa wasn't even fazed by the whole interaction since he used to argue like that with Gin when she was younger.

“Well, let me introduce you guys.” Atsushi stepped back so that they could see the sulking child. “This is Elise-chan. Elise-chan, this is Higuchi-san and Akutagawa-san.”

Higuchi waved at the blonde girl while Akutagawa merely acknowledged her presence by looking at her. “Hi,” Elise greeted quietly.

“Hey, Elise-chan,” the mentioned girl looked up at Higuchi, “why don't we go do our make-up together and leave the boys by themselves?”

Elise smiled widely and stood in front of the taller girl. “Really?” Ichiyō nodded with a smile. “Okay, let's go.”

The two girls went to a different room together, leaving Akutagawa and Atsushi in each other's presence.

“Hey,” Atsushi greeted awkwardly.

“Hi,” Akutagawa replied with just as much emotion.

Well...this is something.

Mildly cringe filler chapter if you ask me.