24.

Near the end of the school day, it had begun to rain heavily outside and Atsushi stared up solemnly at the grey clouds. Students around him were leaving with umbrellas over their heads and many others were sharing.

How clichè, he thought, watching as people left the gate before him.

Atsushi decided that he would wait for Kyōka but after a few minutes he realised that she was probably already gone. He turned to go back inside to wait for the weather to pass only to end up surprised to see Akutagawa walking down an opposite corridor.

“Aku-kun!” The white-haired boy called and the older boy's blank expression turned into a small smile as their eyes met. Atsushi grinned brightly as he walked towards him. “Aku-kun, what are you still doing here? I thought you left with Gin.”

If it had been anyone else besides Nakajima who had said that nickname, Akutagawa would most likely have glared at them but Atsushi's sweet expression only made him smile.

“I would have but she took the only umbrella we had and went ahead without me,” he explained when Atsushi had stopped in front of him.

Nakajima nodded thoughtfully and Akutagawa couldn't help but find the crease between his brows to be nothing but cute.

“Do you want to go to the library?” The question made Akutagawa look at him skeptically. “I-I was already planning to go there myself to wait out the rain but I wouldn't mind if you joined me. If you want to of course,” Atsushi quickly added with pink cheeks.

His awkward politeness never failed to annoy Akutagawa, even if it was the tiniest bit, but it's what he also liked about him. The dark-haired boy pretended to ponder on the offer a bit before nodding his head, Atsushi's smile widening as his eyes closed.

They walked to the library together, exchanging a few words between each other before switching to hushed voices as they reached the library entrance. The boys greeted the librarian and walked to one of the empty desks in the room. Only a few students had stayed behind to study that afternoon so the library was practically empty.

Akutagawa dutifully took out his homework and began to work. Atsushi mimicked his actions only to find himself growing bored after a few moments and laid his head on the desk, watching the older boy as he worked.

Nakajima knew that his feelings towards Akutagawa had grown a bit since the day of his confession but the thought of admitting it was unnerving. He still knew that he had to muster up the courage somehow or Akutagawa might grow sick of him.

“You're staring,” the dark-haired boy said without looking up from the page. 

Atsushi blushed and buried half of his face in his arms, his purple-yellow irises looking up at him. “Sorry, I just like watching you work. You always look so...” handsome. “...focused.”

Akutagawa smirked. “Is that the real reason?”

“Of course,” Atsushi retorted, trying not to raise his voice.

“Mmh, okay,” the dark-haired boy said with the tiniest appearance of a smile. “But I can't help but be focused. It is our last year.”

“I guess.”

Their knees gently brushed together beneath the table and Akutagawa briefly glanced at Atsushi. He quickly turned his dark gaze away and continued to look at his work. “Besides, I want to do something better with my life, for my sister's benefit too.”

Atsushi was aware of how much Akutagawa cared for Gin, especially since she was the only living relative he had left, so he found the other's caring nature to be impossibly sweet. He never wanted to imagine what it would be like if they didn't have each other.