Valentine's Day Special.

“Happy Valentine's Day, Akutagawa,” a sweet voice said to the boy who was doing the last of his homework during the cold morning.

His dark eyes looked up past his glasses and he scowled as he looked around the class, both girls and boys exchanging gifts while others anxiously waited by the door. “I hate Valentine's Day,” Akutagawa mumbled under his breath before looking back at his work.

Higuchi raised a brow, giving him a skeptical glance before smiling softly. “You're just mad because Atsushi didn't get to say it first,” she snickered.

Akutagawa could only blush, looking away from his best friend with a deep frown. He had to admit that Higuchi had him cornered with that snarky remark but the dark-haired boy kept it to himself. If Atsushi wasn't the first person to say it to him, then Akutagawa would say it first.

He'd just have to wait until the white-haired boy arrived.

“Are you going to ask him out?”

“What?”

The blonde girl continued, “Don't give me that confused look, you're clearly thinking about him.” Akutagawa merely pursed his lips. “So, will you?”

His head was buzzing now as he thought about it, that familiar lurching in his stomach while a calloused finger tapped against his desk. “I want to...”

“But?” Higuchi pressed on, discerning the apprehension that was laced within his tone.

Akutagawa wavered for a moment, attempting to unearth a suitable excuse from the depths of his mind. But it only proved to be futile.

“I don't know.”

There was an aching silence amongst them for a moment before Higuchi hummed to herself. “Did you get him something at least?”

The dark-haired boy nodded mutely, his ebony gaze trailing towards the open door. It would have been weird for him to not get the other boy anything.

After several more minutes of impatient waiting, Atsushi finally walked in with a jacket over his uniform. A delicate smile was on his lips and Akutagawa felt a usual warmth that blossomed in his chest.

He greeted the few people that he wandered past towards his desk, waving to his two friends as their eyes met. “Morning, sorry I'm a bit late. I got held up.”

“Held up by what?”

“A group of girls were trying to give me Valentine's Day chocolates but I had to reject all of them,” he admitted bashfully, almost as if the thought of such affection embarrassed him.

Higuchi furrowed her brows in confusion and asked, “Why would you reject all of them?”

“Well...” Atsushi glanced at Akutagawa who was already staring at him intently before hurriedly looking away with a blush. “I can't really accept them if I already like someone else.”

It was Akutagawa's turn to blush now, knowing full well whom Atsushi was referring to. Their relationship wasn't even anything official but the white-haired boy was treating it like it was.

Higuchi silently looked between the two of them before rolling her eyes and standing up. “I'm going to take that as my cue to leave you two alone. I'll be in Gin's class if you need me.” 

The two boys were left by themselves at the back of the class and the tension was thick between them amidst the silence.

Akutagawa instantly felt at a loss for words, his throat drying up as his hand curled into a tight fist. He could feel Atsushi looking at him expectantly, waiting for him to say something but no words left his mouth.