26.

"Should we take the bus?" Atsushi asked Akutagawa with raised brows.

The dark-haired boy shrugged and merely glanced at Kumo who had now become well adjusted to her new leash. "Do they allow cats on the bus?" He asked after a moment of silence.

Atsushi frowned at the reply. He'd been on the bus but never with Kumo and he'd not seen anyone bring some sort of pet onto the bus. "I don't think so. It's better to just walk I guess."

The rest of the walk was in silence but Akutagawa couldn't stop himself from glancing at Atsushi. Fukuzawa's words from their conversation were nagging at the back of his mind, a frown developing on his forehead. It never occurred to him to ask what type of circumstances Atsushi had been through but he guessed it was related to before his adoption.

"What are you thinking about?"

His boyfriend's question surprised him and Akutagawa slowly shook his head. "Just something Fukuzawa-san said to me."

Atsushi immediately perked up. "What were you two talking about before I came downstairs? It seemed serious before I interrupted."

"He just told me to take care of you," the dark-haired male admitted with a small smile.

A deep blush covered the other boy's cheeks and he looked away, clearly embarrassed by the statement. "You don't have to do that..." he mumbled softly.

Akutagawa frowned. "What do you mean? I'm your boyfriend aren't I?"

Atsushi squeaked in embarrassment, his entire face turning red as he looked away. It would be a while before he got used to the idea that he and Akutagawa were dating now. In the meantime, his shy nature would get the best of him.

They continued to walk along in silence before the two of them finally reached the small café and Atsushi picked Kumo up. "Dazai-san, we're here!"

There were already several pets walking around the café and a familiar raccoon walking around the tables. The raccoon stared at Kumo only for her to hiss loudly. Atsushi picked her up to calm her down and the cat grumbled angrily.

"It's okay, Kumo. It's just, Karl." The affectionately pet Karl on the head, the raccoon letting out several chirps.

Akutagawa cringed. "Who keeps a raccoon as a pet?" He questioned with evident judgement.

"Karl? Karl, where are you?" A distressed voice called out from the back of the café. A head of dark hair peeked from the kitchen, long bangs covering their purple gaze. A sigh of relief passed their lips when they saw Karl being pampered by Atsushi. "Hey, Atsushi-kun..."

"Hi, Poe-san. I didn't know that you would be here too?"

"Well, um, Ranpo-kun kind of forced me to help. But it's okay because at least I got to bring Karl with me,” Poe explained while nervously scratching the nape of his neck. “You guys can help clean up here, I'm still getting stuff done in the kitchen.”

They watched as Poe walked back into the kitchen and Atsushi put his cat on the floor, letting Kumo walk around. It was silent as the two of them set up the tables and wiped them down, the two pets scurrying between their legs.

Akutagawa huffed in annoyance when Karl bumped into his leg and Atsushi laughed at his reaction. Ryū looked at his boyfriend before looking away with a small blush on his cheeks, annoyed at how happy the sound made him feel.

“Um...Atsushi?”

“Yeah?” The white-haired boy asked with a small smile.

Akutagawa rubbed his hand against his dark pants and cleared his throat. “Will you go to the Spring Festival with me?”

▫️

I know, it's short as fuck but I tried, I think? Y'all, I've been so busy with school it's crazy!! Anyway, I have to go write a test now.

PS, I apologise that it's so bad and has anyone watched S4?? Like, is it good??