27.

“Will you go to the Spring Festival with me?” Akutagawa had just blurted the question out unexpectedly. “It's more than a week from now so you can think about—”

“I'd like to.”

“What?”

“I'll go with you to the festival,” Atsushi told him happily, a small grin on his face as they both blushed next to each other.

The sound of scraping chairs interrupted them and they turned around to look at a grumbling Chūya. “Oi, you two need to get busy and stop flirting. We're about to open up in an hour and our other classmates are arriving soon.”

Both teenagers complied and helped to set the tables in and outside of the rental shop. Dazai and Poe were hanging up the last of the decorations and banners when the taller of the two got distracted by giving his small raccoon friend some treats. Ranpo noticed this and immediately scolded his boyfriend for not working, only to quickly apologise when he realised he hurt his feelings. 

The door to the small shop was pushed open and in walked two college students with dark hair, Atsushi recognising them as Dazai's friends who he usually saw during the weekends. One of them was pale and wore round glasses on his face, swatting a puff of smoke that was blown in his face.

“Can you not smoke indoors, Oda-san. People will be showing up soon,” Chūya told him as he carried a chalkboard sign to the outside of the shop. “You can either go outside or put it out and help Edogawa with displaying the desserts in the kitchen.”  

“Sure thing,” Odasaku replied boredly before teasingly blowing in Ango's face and going to the back where he was meant to help. Ango simply walked around the room greeting everyone politely and then went to go assist Dazai with whatever he was doing. 

Atsushi sat down in one of the chairs with a sigh and leaned against his hand, elbow resting on the table. “Waah, this is taking way too long.”

Akutagawa rolled his eyes and looked down at him, noting the childish pout on his lips. “You're so whiny... But I'm sure that we'll open up soon and then we can leave afterwards,” he said before he cringed as a dog approached him, causing him to flinch. I hate dogs. 

Dazai and Ango entered together, the man in the glasses carrying a pile of clothes in his hands, his brown-haired friend clapping his hands to receive everyone's attention. “Okay everyone, it's time to put on your uniforms.”

🌸

“I fucking hate dogs,” Akutagawa complained as the fake dog ears kept sliding off his head but his boyfriend could only let out a laugh as he helped to fix them. He blushed when Atsushi pat down his hair with a sweet smile. “You don't have to do that...”

“I know but I just want you to look presentable at least. Now, go wait some tables and be welcoming, I need to go wash my hands.” Atsushi gently nudged him out of the changing room and Ryūnosuke headed towards a table that had just been occupied.

He greatly disliked the idea of smiling but tried his best to keep his expression warm and remove the bored tone of his voice. Akutagawa continued to take orders but was slowly becoming overwhelmed and Atsushi seemed to be enjoying it a lot more than he was.

The dark-haired boy ended up going outside to take a breath and fixed his glasses, removing the fake ears from his head. He felt guilty about not being as invested in helping as his boyfriend was but talking to so many people was anxiety-inducing. 

A grumbling Chūya walked out of the shop to check on him, still wearing his normal clothes since Dazai had swapped his uniform with a waitress one. “Why are you standing outside?”

“There's just too many people,” Akutagawa mumbled in reply to his question. “Do you think it's weird that I don't enjoy being here, even if I'm with Atsushi?”

“No, not really. It wouldn't be genuine if you did so it's okay to have different interests.” Chūya turned to look at him with a smile, “You can leave if you like and I can cover for you. Just don't take too long.”

“Thanks, Nakahara-san.” 

It took a few minutes before Atsushi joined him outside and they stood against the wall together in silence, Akutagawa beginning to feel slightly uncomfortable. “You could have said no and I wouldn't have minded.”

“I just wanted to spend some time with you,” Ryūnosuke told him truthfully and the two of them blushed as they looked at each other. Akutagawa hoped that as time went on, they wouldn't be as embarrassed with showing affection to each other. “Can we take a walk for a while?”

Atsushi nodded and took his hand, the two of them beginning to stroll down the street together. The two boys did get a few odd looks as they walked together, Nakajima feeling a bit self-conscious before remembering that he was still wearing the cat ears from his shift. He quickly took them off and Akutagawa held back a chuckle at the sight. 

They reached Yamashita Park and sat on one of the benches that faced the ocean surrounding the city of Yokohama, Atsushi taking in a deep breath of the salty air. The two boys reached for each other's hands, hiding them in the space between them, hoping that nobody around could see. 

Enjoying each other's company in the comforting atmosphere and Akutagawa's nerves settled as he looked at his boyfriend who continued to admire the view in front of them. “I really like you, Atsushi.”

Atsushi looked up at him, heterochromatic eyes glinting happily. “I really like you, too, Ryūnosuke.”

🌸