Chapter 26

"I hope I'm not too late?"

The lady who joined us and called Senator Gadiano 'dad', smiled. And I couldn't help but stare at her dimple. One that I always looked at whenever Erin would smile.

"Of course not, hija, you're just in time," Senator Gadiano responded, then turned to us. "Ladies, this is my most precious daughter, Ellie Gadiano."

Ellie Gadiano?

No... She's Erin!

"Hello everyone, good morning," she greeted and beamed at us. When our gazes met, I hoped that recognition would cross her eyes but there was nothing, and she just turned to Senator Gadiano again.

Palihim akong huminga ng malalim para pakalmahin ang sarili. My rationality is telling me that I should not jump to conclusions just because she looks like Erin. It might not be her... But something's telling me that it's her. It's really her. I can't be wrong.

"Hey, you okay?" Althea asked me in a low voice.

"Yeah," I nodded a couple of times. I closed my eyes for a couple of seconds and when I opened it, my focus was back.

The meeting started and I couldn't stop myself from glancing at Erin or Ellie from time to time. Mabuti na lang at ginagawa ko 'yon sa tuwing hinihingi ang opinyon niya. That way, she wouldn't think I'm suspicious or something.

Nakapag-decide sila na sa bahay ni Senator Gadiano gaganapin ang engagement party. I'm sure his place is big and spacious enough to held a party. His daughter was very enthusiastic about the planning. I could see the excitement in her smile, and I'm not sure if it's just me but her eyes were blank and expressionless.

["Master Tear, Dr. Vicada's son just arrived."] Rinig kong sabi ni Jade.

And that's when everything started to sink in. Damn it! Erin is going to marry that jerk!

No way!

"Hijo! At last, you're here!" Senator Gadiano greeted him when he reached our table.

"Good morning, Senator, Ellie... hi everyone, I apologize for being late," he said.

Nang mag-angat ako ng tingin sa kaniya ay hindi ko inasahang magtatama ang tingin namin dahil nakatingin pala siya sa 'kin. Ibinalik ko na lang tingin ko sa iPad ko para maputol ang tinginan namin at siya naman ay tahimik na umupo.

"Is Onel still busy, hijo?" Tanong ni Senator Gadiano sa kaniya.

"Yes Senator, that's why he couldn't join us for today."

"That's fine, what's important is you and Ellie are here, it's good for the both of you to be hands on with the preparation and everything."

The meeting continued after that, most of the time, it was Erin and Senator Gadiano who give answers to Althea. Third would just answer everytime Senator Gadiano asked for his opinion. At walang kwenta ang mga sagot niya. Halatang wala siyang pakialam sa kung ano mang pinag-uusapan. Mas lalo akong nairita sa ideyang ikakasal silang dalawa. If she's really Erin which I'm 90% sure, hinding-hindi ako makakapayag na makasal siya sa lalaking wala man lang pakialam sa kaniya!

Senator Gadiano suddenly called for a ten minute break saying that he has to take a call. I excused myself and went to the restroom to collect myself. This is just too much for me to take in at this moment.

"Jade, find out if the call is relevant," I said as soon as I entered the room.

["On it, Master Tear."]