38. Pull the Lever

AUTHOR'S NOTE !

"happy" december 16th!

   NIA HAD NOWHERE TO GO.

   After Dream stranded her in the middle of L'Manburg because of Niki's appearance, she was left alone to fend for herself. Luckily, Phil offered her a place to stay while they waited for the butcher army to either return victorious with Technoblade captured and tied up, or get back defeated.

   Nia hopes for the latter. She knows Technoblade is capable of fighting them off and winning, but when have the odds ever been on her side? Fate favors those who create, and Nia has usually been the bearer of destruction. Even if indirectly.

   The princess eats her breakfast in silence, watching Phil move about his kitchen and preparing more dishes than necessary. She figures that the man is simply bored out of his mind, forced to stay in his home because of the ankle monitors that have been forced on him.

   He can't go further than his porch without a painful electric current being sent through his body, and it's nearly impossible to take them off, too. At least the conventional ways have not been successful in taking them off. Phil can't take the ankle monitors off without them hurting him. Nia has figured that if she tries to do it, he might be able to break free.

   A ruckus in the center of L'Manburg gets Nia's attention. She goes to look out of the window, while Phil storms out of the door and to the front of his house immediately, having seen what's happening. A single glance through the window is enough for Nia to see Quackity ride a familiar horse, followed right by Technoblade whose hands are tied by a leash that Quackity tugs along.

   Nia's lips part as she stares at the scene.

   "You actually got him," Phil says loud enough for everybody to hear as the butcher army leads Techno to the center of L'Manberg. Quackity gives Technoblade's leash to Tubbo, going to tie Carl to a fence further from the stage.

   The piglin doesn't seem to care, his attention on Phil. Techno turns to him fighting against his captors. Tubbo, Fundy and a boy that Nia assumes is Ranboo have to hold him back.

   "Phil! Phil, what did they do to you? Phil, what did they do to you, Phil?" Techno stares at the blonde man. They gaze at each other, old friends reunited. Though under terrible conditions.

   "He's on house arrest, Technoblade," says Tubbo.

   "They put these ankle monitors on me. I can't leave the house," Phil elaborates further.

   Technoblade turns to his captors. "Leave Phil alone! He did nothing. Just take me!"

   Nia watches Ranboo push Technoblade toward the podium, followed by Tubbo, Quackity and Fundy. She could see Ranboo mutter a quiet 'sorry' to Techno for pushing him, though the kind gesture is easily erased by Quackity and Fundy shoving Technoblade right into the animal cage that Tubbo has opened. The members of the butcher army cheer for the anarchist, trapped in a cage for animals, ready for slaughter.

   Phil comes back inside the house, just about enough to still have a clear view of Technoblade and the butcher army. Nia approaches him, and Phil shakes his head as if to say 'do not engage'. She nods in understanding, but grabs her equipment nevertheless.

   "Maybe put on your armour," Phil whispers.

   "Technoblade, this isn't actually a trial," Quackity announces.