Chapter 5: The Chemicals React

Don't forget to like and comment on this chapter and follow me! I really appreciate it!
- SweetDumplingss

Chapter 5: The Chemicals React
Nevaeh

I finally got a job. I was working at the front desk at a dance studio. To be honest, I didn't get this job on my own. Jesse helped me. He was a dance instructor here. Jesse and I used to be dance partners when we were younger.

I was gathering paperwork together, neatly putting this in an organized fashion. They were lucky I was a neat-freak. I reorganized the whole desk area, so I could get information easier. I arranged everything by class times with the names in them, sign-ups, new information, and upcoming events. On the computer, I had a list of the names as well and ways to pay. The payments were usually expensive. I wish I could take a class or two.

There were times where I would think of Damon. But not as often as I would think. Each time I think about our interaction, I could feel some emotions trickling back into my heart. I kept telling myself no, that I had buried my love for Damon. I had to. Or, I would get hurt again. I couldn't let myself get hurt.

As I was getting things sorted, my phone vibrated.

Mom: Why didn't you wash the dishes before you left?

I felt an irritation fuel into me. The dishes that her man-toy left this morning. I was supposed to clean after him? I didn't understand what my mom was thinking, because I was not going to clean up after a man that I don't even know or who can't even acknowledge my presence. Not that I need him too. If she wanted the dishes to be washed, she could do them. Or better yet, he could do them.

But I didn't say any of that. I just felt my anger at bay.

Nevaeh: I didn't make the mess.

Mom: I don't care. You are the woman of the house too.

I closed my eyes, trying to maintain my calmness. I just replied with "Okay. Sure. I'll get it done." My mom has been so mean lately. I didn't like how much she was putting her anger at me, because what did I do? She acted as if I was the one who made dad die. And she was not the only one who lost him.

As I was looking at my phone, I heard a voice being cleared. I dropped my phone down quickly and looked up.

"You shouldn't be on your phone, madmwazèl."

"Sorry," I said, shoving it in my bag by my foot, not making any eye contact. I sat back now on my seat, pretending to find something to do.

"Vae, I'm only kidding," Jesse said. I looked up at him, seeing his devilish smile.

I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes, stapling audition forms. I glanced over at the colorful page. On it showed a woman in a very sexy yet elegant dress and a man in all black— nice and sleek. I missed dancing. Dancing just didn't feel the same as before.

I looked down at the words on the page and my mouth dropped. Cash prize. Ten thousand dollars.

"Mon amour, what's wrong?" Jesse leaned over towards the desk. He took the picture from my hands, scanning it and filling through the application. "Do you miss it?"

I did. I missed the way my feet would bounce off the ground, almost like I was flying. I missed the way the music would play into my ears, and my body knew exactly what to do. I missed everything about it. "No," I lied.

"That's a shame. Auditions are tomorrow. You would definitely nail this," Jesse said, almost not convinced with what I said. He landed the thin papers on the edge of the desk.