Thirty-two

——
Azriel POV

Azriel walked to his bedroom when he got back. The house was quiet, everyone out in Velaris or minding their own business.

Rhys had called for him through his mind. He told Azriel he was checking on the two Illyrian prisoners with Mor.

Azriel felt the bond pull him towards Briar's room, meaning she wasn't in his room.

He didn't have long, since he still needed to attend his spymaster duties.

He opened the door to Briar's room, which luckily wasn't locked. He peaked his head inside and kept quiet, incase she was sleeping.

Briar was laying on her bed, facing away from the door.

He turned around to leave, but his shadows started whispering to him that she was awake.

He walked into the room and closed the door behind him.

Briar didn't move as he walked closer, but he could see her breathe.

He walked around the bed and sat down.

His shadows had indeed told the truth. Her eyes were open and fixed on the window. She didn't even look up at him.

"How are you?" Azriel said.

"Can't you see how I am?" she snapped.

Azriel felt himself flinch at the words. He hadn't meant to upset her.

Briar's eyes immediately snapped to his. He found her eyes filled with regret.

"I'm sorry I..." she said.

Azriel watched her, his face blank. He couldn't blame her for reacting like that. "It's okay." he said, "I understand."

He stood from the bed and walked away.

He felt her hand wrap around his wrist, pulling him back. "I didn't mean to say it like that." she said.

He didn't know how to react to her snapping.

He sat down again and waited for her to talk.

"I just find it hard... to talk about how I feel. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Azriel felt his heart ache at the sight of his mate looking so helpless.

"I don't want to bother you." she said.

Azriel shook his head as he grabbed her hand and held it, "You don't."

Briar looked away. He found tears glistening in her eyes.

He sat down against the headboard of the bed and pulled her closer.

She immediately wrapped her arms around him.

"Just don't push me away. I want to help you." he felt her nod.

"You don't have to stay with me all the time. I don't want to keep you from your work."

Azriel shook his head, "I already told you, I want to. Rhys understands it." he said, "You are my mate and I love you. So no, I won't leave you alone."

He only felt Briar tighten her grip around him.

——
Briar POV

She woke up to an empty bed. She could see the sunset through the window, meaning she had slept for a few hours.

The place where Azriel first laid, was already cold. He probably had other things to do. Briar didn't mind.

She pushed the bedsheets off of her and walked to the door.