Fifteen

TW: one mention of rape

——

Azriel attended dinner later that night.

The meeting had gone well, Keir hadn't given anything away. Briar's father and brother hadn't been in the Court, which made him feel disappointed.

Azriel made his way up to his room, carrying a plate with food for Briar.

He knocked on her door, but got no answer. He checked if the door was locked.

It opened with a soft click. He found Briar laying in the bed, the sheets pulled up and covering her entire body. She was curled up in a ball. Azriel smiled.

He put the plate next to her door, maybe when she woke up, she would be hungry.

——

Briar POV

Briar woke with a scream. It was more muffled than a real scream.

It was the same nightmare as always. Her mother dying, her father punishing her and her brother raping her.

Briar ran to the bathroom and vomited into the toilet. The only thing that came out, were the scrambled eggs.

She was breathing heavily, tears rolling down her face. She was used to it now.

She sat against the toilet for a few minutes, thinking as she finally made up her mind about what to do.

——

Azriel POV

Azriel woke to his door opening. He grabbed Truth-teller, but soon saw who the figure was.

She was wearing pyjama shorts and a large shirt, something she had been wearing for the last few days.

"Briar?" he asked. He wasn't sure what she was doing here.

"I-... I'm sorry, I shouldn't have bothered you." she said. She turned to open the door.

"No, is there something wrong?" he said.

She turned around, "I had a nightmare. The same one as always." she said, her voice almost breaking.

"I... When I spend time with you, before I sleep, I don't have them." she said. Azriel's heart skipped a beat.

"You want to stay here?" he asked. She nodded.

Azriel laid down on the other side of the bed. He laid really close to the edge, making place for Briar.

Briar laid down on the other side, also close to the edge, careful not to touch his wings. She pulled her knees to her chest and closed her eyes, her front facing the door.

Azriel could hear when she fell asleep, her breathing turning soft and even.

He found himself falling asleep soon after.

——

Azriel woke up later than he meant too. He looked around the room, but soon looked down as he felt the weight on his chest.

He looked down to find Briar sleeping, with her head on his chest and her arm wrapped around his waist.

He didn't want to move and he didn't want to wake her up. She finally looked peaceful.

He could miss a few hours. Rhys wouldn't mind.

Azriel stared up at the ceiling, thinking.

It was his job to keep Briar safe. Her father and brother were still out there, keeping out of sight apparently. He wasn't sure about what they are planning. Maybe they just wanted to get away, to not get tortured for a living.