Ten

——

The next morning Briar woke up in her own bed. She had fallen asleep on the roof last night.

It looked like Azriel had brought her back. Her cheeks warmed at the thought.

They hadn't exchanged a single word last night, the silence had brought enough comfort.

Today she would go to the House. She had no idea what or where it was.

Apparently Nesta and Cassian lived there. Now she would have to get along with the other Archeron sister.

There was a knock on the door. The person in front of it opened it. Madja walked in with Feyre on her side.

"I hoped you would be awake." Feyre said.

"I only want to see your wounds, I have to be quick, because I'm needed somewhere else." the woman said. She walked over to her bed.

Briar laid down on her stomach and pulled her shirt up. The wounds had almost fully closed thanks to her quick Illyrian and Fae healing, but the scars still hurt.

She also hated them. They were ugly.

After a while, Madja spoke, "They are almost fully closed, but they can still get infected or you can rip them open again."

Briar looked over her shoulder and nodded at the woman.

"Just be careful. Call for me if you think something is wrong." Madja left the room.

"You're still coming to dinner like Rhys told you, right?" Feyre asked.

"Yes, of course I am." she laughed, "It wasn't my choice to leave."

Feyre looked upset, "I like your company. Nyx also likes you."

"Just bring him to me if you need a babysitter." Briar said.

"I will. Breakfast is in 30 minutes." Feyre left the room.

——

Azriel POV

Azriel had already left the river house. He had clothes at both houses, so he didn't need to pack anything.

He hadn't been at the House much lately, being too busy with his duties.

When he arrived, he found Cassian and Nesta sparring. Emerie and Gwyn watched them with amused faces.

Azriel stood next to them, watching Cassian get his ass beaten.

Nesta finally got him to the ground. Emerie laughed and Gwyn cheered.

"I let you win." Cassian said, standing.

"No, you didn't." Nesta said.

Cassian noticed Azriel standing next to the other two females.

"Happy to have you back. It can get hard with these three."

Nesta hit him hard on the back of his head.

"Sometimes they send me out of my own room." Azriel snorted.

"Just so you know, I picked two rooms on the other side of the house." Azriel said.

"Good choice."

——

Briar POV

Breakfast had gone by quickly. She talked to Rhys and Feyre. After they finished, she promised Elain she would help her in her garden once a week. Briar liked the girl.

Rhysand told Briar he had to fly her to the House. He explained that there were wards that didn't make winnowing possible.

Briar had already packed a bag, she didn't have any belongings of her own. When she had arrived a few days ago, her closet was already filled with clothes, all in her size.

Briar said goodbye to Feyre and Elain. She had seen Nyx during breakfast, the boy was now asleep.

Briar and Rhys walked outside, the High Lord turned to her, "Are you okay with me touching you?" he asked.

She hadn't thought about that. She swallowed.

It was just Rhysand. Her newly found friend and High Lord. He had no intentions of touching her inappropriately or hurting her.

She gave a small nod.

"Just hold on."

She had never been in the sky. She had never learned to fly and her father and brother never wanted to take her flying.

Rhys took off fast.

They were high above Velaris. The view of the city was beautiful. There were people everywhere, children laughing on the street.

It wasn't like the tales about the Night Court. Not at all.

Briar smiled.

They soon arrived at a house, it was build onto the highest mountain on the northern side of Velaris.

It was a house carved into the mountain, windows were carved into it. It looked beautiful.

Rhys landed close to the entrance, putting Briar down. He walked into the house.

They walked into a living room, Nesta and Cassian were in there with another woman she didn't recognize.

She was Illyrian, wings on her back just like she used to have.

She smiled at Briar.

"Welcome." Cassian said, still keeping his distance.

Nesta looked her up and down. Briar stood awkwardly.

"I'll be going," Rhys said, "if something is wrong, just send word for me."

"Nesta will show you your room."

Briar said thank you to the High Lord as he walked out.

Nesta walked out of the room, motioning for Briar to follow her.

"Azriel's room is next to yours. Mine is on the other side of the house." Briar nodded.

"If you need anything, just ask the House. It lives, or something like that." Nesta said.

A house that lives and follows commands. Interesting.

Briar still struggled with walking. She walked close to the wall to keep her from falling over. She couldn't keep up with Nesta.

Nesta walked up the stairs, she was already on top when Briar just started.

This house was huge. She didn't know if she could walk the distance every day.

Nesta turned around, looking at her. She sighed softly, but walked down to help her.

"Thank you." Briar said.

They reached the top and walked into a hallway, multiple doors on each side.

Nesta opened one of the doors and walked inside. The room looked similar to the one she had stayed in at the river house. The only difference was the color of the walls.

"You will find your way around the house eventually." Nesta said.

The house looked like a maze.

Briar hoped her legs wouldn't give out.