Seven

——

She stopped breathing while her eyes widened.

The male had huge wings, shadows curling around them. Briar didn't feel the panic she expected to feel, she felt somehow at ease at the sight of the man.

Azriel looked at Rhysand. "I—" he met her eye, "I should go." he turned around to leave.

"No, wait." Briar didn't want to run from this fear. She had to live with the male.

She didn't feel panicked when he turned around, looking a bit confused.

"Don't go." was all she said.

Azriel looked at Rhysand, asking him for permission to sit down. Rhysand nodded.

Azriel sat down, not looking comfortable. He avoided her eyes and held his wings tucked in tight.

He didn't eat, he just sat there.

"Do you want me to show you around the city?" the question took her by surprise.

Feyre had been kind all this time, but she didn't want to be seen in the city like this. Her tanned skin was way too pale and she still felt weak.

"Can we go another time?" she felt embarrassed to ask the question, not wanting to be rude to the people that took her in.

Feyre nodded, "Whenever you're ready." she said.

——

Azriel POV

Feyre, Mor and Briar had left. Leaving him and Rhysand together.

Azriel had gone back to the camp Briar came from. Someone reported that an Illyrian had gone missing. Her father.

Apparently he had left the night after Azriel and Cassian took the girl.

Briar's brother, Jorah, told him he didn't know anything. He had kept his words short before he quickly walked away from Azriel.

"I already send my spies to search for him." Rhysand nodded.

Briar's father was dangerous. It felt like he hadn't just disappeared. He was planning something.

Rhysand also told him about what Briar had said. About what happened that day. It made Azriel clench his hands into fists.

"I think her brother also had something to do with it." Rhysand hadn't gotten passed her mental shields, but they all knew something happened.

Azriel sensed that something was off with the girl. Something more happened between her and her family.

"Do you want me to stay at the House?" he didn't want to make Briar feel uncomfortable with his presence.

Rhysand shook his head.

"She looked pretty relaxed when you sat down. I don't think you scare her that much. Besides, you aren't here every hour of the day." Azriel was glad he could stay here, being at the House could get exhausting.

"What will you be doing with her?"

"When she has gained some weight, we will help her walk. After that, she can decide what she wants." Rhysand also told him she was half Fae, having Fae powers herself, but they had yet to figure out what they were.

"We will train her if she wants, help her with her powers. But, she isn't going back to that camp." Azriel was happy about that.

If he found her father, he would do worse things to him than he had done to Briar.

"If you find her father, report back to me. Bring him to the Court of Nightmares." Azriel nodded and left the room, leaving for his daily duties.

——