Thirty-six

——

The male was sitting in the corner, hiding from the light that now struck through the door.

Briar could see the grim smile on his face.

She swallowed as she stepped closer, but kept her face blank.

Azriel followed her inside, his hand on her lower back.

Her father stood and took a step forward.

She could see him dragging his wings on the floor behind him, like he couldn't hold them up.

Good. Let him be in pain.

Just give me a sign if I need to do anything. Azriel spoke into her mind. Briar let her mask slip as she gave him a confused look. She didn't know that they could talk through the bond.

Yes we can, ask questions later. he said.

Sorry, just a little surprised, that's all.

Briar turned back to the male in front of her. He was still staring at her with that disgusting smile.

"Looks like you came to finish the job."

Briar didn't break his stare, "Indeed."

He let out a muffled laugh. "You can't do it."

"I can."

He laughed again, there was no humor in it. He threw up his hands, "Come on, kill me." he said.

Briar didn't move.

He sighed, "I'm disappointed in you. I thought you'd do it." her father shook his head.

Briar called her power. She was happy to feel the warm feeling in her hands. If she had to kill him, it would be with the thing he had kept her from using.

His smile disappeared as he saw the small flashes of lightning in her hands.

He swallowed, but put his smile back on his face. "You're a coward, you know." Briar could smell his fear.

Briar kept her mouth shut, she didn't want to talk to him.

"You only dare to kill me now, because of the people that are standing with you. The protection they give you." he said. "Don't ignore me."

"I don't have anything to say."

He chuckled softly, "Your mother would be so disappointed in you."

Briar felt her heart sink. He never spoke of her. It was one of the most important rules in her old house; never talk about her.

"She was a kind woman." he said, "She did good things with her powers. She didn't use them to kill." he spat.

She felt Azriel tense next to her.

"You killed her. I'm sure you won't be afraid to kill again."

"Shut up." she said softly.

"It's true, isn't it? They're turning you into a weapon. They're using you, just like everyone else."

"Shut. Up." she said it a bit harder this time.

"You're a coward. A whore and a kille-"

Briar shot out her hand, slamming him against the wall. The purple light mixed with the small flashes of lightning. They didn't burn him, not yet.

"You don't get to call me that. Not when you are so much worse." she yelled in his face.

He was helpless and pinned against the wall. His mask fell, his face showing the fear he had been hiding.