Helor Nest

Helor Nest

"Ainey? What’s it like being Imprinted?"

Why, dear, it’s the best feeling in the world. You know that you never have to spend your life alone. Without anyone who loves you.

"Am I really a possible? Or am I dragon tamer quality or not?"

I think that you’ll make a wonderful dragon tamer.

"So I am good for it?"

You are a possible, yes, but I believe in you.

"You do?"

I haven’t been wrong yet, and I don’t plan to start today.

"Hmm." I started to chuckle.

Well, it’s true. And besides, we dragons get hunches. I have a hunch that you’ll have quite the adventure.

"You do?"

Yes, dear, I do.

"Okay. So then… what’s the other possible like?"

She’s a lot like you. It’s all so strange. You two are almost the same person. You’ll know her when you see her.

"Huh. How do you know all this?"

I have ways, curious one. Now look. We’re home.

"Wow."

Welcome home, dear. Wait a minute, you’re the babe I helped save.

"I’m what?"

Don’t worry about it. It’s nothing. You’ll learn when you’re older.

Helor Nest was very substantial. I could see the immense Egging Sand where my lifelong companion just might be waiting to hatch. The dragon tamers’ quarters took up the entire left flank of the place, carved into the mountain. The Nestlings’ quarters took up about half of the other side, wishers’ taking up the remaining. Nestlings are what young people are called when they just Imprinted a young draceling, or baby dragon, but can’t ride yet. In the center, a vast building was erected from the ground. Just in front of it, there lay a stable. Wonderful. I could keep Journey there. I could see many rooms, and behind it, a large fountain. Down at the base of the mountain, a grand pasture with all sorts of cattle. The feedplains.That must be where the dragons hunt for food. Above the Nest, a massive cavern lay with hides in rows all over the floor, and large spaces in between them, big enough for a dragon. That must be the hospital. We landed on the wide open sands just before the entrance to the wishers’ quarters.

The dragons touched down and I slid off with the beast’s rider helping me. The impact of hitting the ground made me stumble, but I quickly regained balance. Liam and I grabbed our things and joined the 58 other hopeful wishers surrounding the Group deputy respectfully.

"Thanks Ainey!" I thought to her, turning and waving in her direction. Ainey turned her head and neck around to look at me.

You’re welcome, young one. Good luck. She winked at me, then turned her head back around and kicked off from the ground.

When we joined the group, we crowded into a free area in front of a long cavern with a long table in the middle of it and doors lining the walls. Liam was next to a teenage girl that we didn’t know, and I wound up next to the other possible, according to Ainey.

“Now, these are the bunkers for the wishers. The wisher’s suits and dresses are on the racks. You are to wear those every time you visit the Egging Sands. Each bunker has a chest, shelf, and bed. Find one that’s not occupied, lay out your things, and you’ll be fine. Now remember, the eggs could hatch at any moment, so be ready to change and get onto the Egging Sand as soon as possible. Food will be available day and night. Chores will start tomorrow. Go get settled and meet here in an hour for dinner. There are forty…….. uh.. one eggs and 60 of you, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t Imprint this time. You’ll have other chances. ” said the Group deputy. Liam and I chose side-by-side bunkers on the far end of the great hallway.