Kat's Scan

Six Passes later, Indirica got some big news. Three weeks after hers, Finn’s, and Rolenan’s twelfth birthday, she got Scanned and taken away to be a wisher. That brought back so many memories of my own wishery. Today, we would find out whether or not she Imprints. I was so excited I couldn’t stop rebrushing Rolenan’s hair.

“Mom! I can do it myself!”

“Oh, I’m sorry honey, but I’m so excited for Indirica.” He looked at me unimpressed.

“Yeah. I know.”

Suddenly, Gaddie started to make a clicking sound that was like horses hooves on cement.

“The ranting has started!” I ran out holding Rolenan and Yekaterina’s hands to Gadarieth. Mounting him, we teleported and reappeared above the Egging Sands in Helor Nest. Sitting in the front row, we met up with Megan, Jay, Tadon, and Finn. Megan was bouncing in her seat while Jay tried to hold her down. Finn looked truly bored, and Tadon couldn’t stop twiddling with his thumbs while looking down at the ground. Cadn and Robbie stood at opposite sides of the Egging Sands and they kept shifting their weight from foot to foot. Liam was nowhere to be found. Kimmy sat in the top row to try to get away from everyone. Oh, here’s Liam. He sat on Dileth high above the Sands looking down on us, but keeping an eye at the sky at the same time in case Blaenik comes early.

The wishers came out into the large rock dome in a clean, straight line. Indirica found us quickly and started to bounce while waving and beaming. Then she joined the other wishers gathering around the eggs. The dragons stopped ranting. A little egg started to rock and split. A small silvery head popped out of the egg and made its way to the lucky boy across the Sands, learning to use its legs as it went. It stumbled and fell to its head several times, but kept going.

“Mama?” I looked to my right to find Yekaterina looking up at me with her beautiful lilac eyes.

“Yes, hun?”

“When I get older, I wanna be a dragon tamer too. I wanna do that.” She pointed to the Sands where many other dragons were now making their way towards their lifelong friends.

“Pfft. As if you would. I would get chosen, but not you.” Looking to my left, I noticed a girl about Kat’s age. She had blonde hair and blue eyes.

“I’m sorry, but who are you to say such a thing to my daughter?” I asked with anger residing in my voice.

“She’s our perfect daughter.” Oh, I know that voice.

“Winona, get your demon out of here.”

“We don’t have to.” Wonderful. Allen. They had gotten together a while back. The young brat flipped her hair around.

“No. Dragons go for what’s on the inside. With a inside as black as yours, you won’t Imprint.” Yekaterina had spoken up. She glared at the blonde. “Gadariuf told me so.”

“Oh, yeah? Well dragons go for whoever is nice. And I’m the most worthy one here.”

“What’s your name, devilspawn?”

“Bailey.” She sat up taller. I placed my hand on her head, pushing her back down. “Hey!” She angrily took my hand off her head, and Winona took the kicking, sprawling, beast out of our area while muttering curses at me.

Kat’s and my attention focused back to the Sands. There was only one egg left uncracked and all the other Nestlings were making their way back to the bunkers. Indirica sat beside the uncracked gold, muttering encouraging thoughts to it. She put her hand on it, and got a little help. Nebularus had had enough. He was too excited. He flew over to her to try and land on her shoulder but missed and ran into her back at full speed. She toppled forward, landing on and cracking the egg. For a moment it seemed a though it had died. A little curved body lay lifeless in the mess. She picked herself up off the broken egg shards and goop. Sadness overwhelmed me, and she started to cry, sitting on her butt in the sands with her arms around her knees and head tucked in.