Carcoenians and Eggs

We weren’t even in the forest at the base of the mountains for a half an hour when Liam thought he saw something and ran off. I lost him in the unfamiliar trees quickly and we kept getting farther apart from each other. I tried climbing to the top of the smallest branches that I could stay on to see him. Nothing. Not one single clue. It’s as if… As if he just dropped off of the face of the planet. Wait, what’s that?

A burst of liquid made a dome a couple of miles away. It came over the top of the forest, and was a deep green. A fountain of blood. I didn’t waste another moment. If that’s where Liam is, then… He could be in big danger. I hopped down off of the tree and ran. Not stopping until I was very close to the site, I kept going. Faster and faster, I couldn’t stop. Until… Oh no.

I only slowed when I neared a clearing. Red liquid manifested areas around it, splattered on trees and grass. This seemed to be human. No. No, no, no, no, no, it can’t be. Oh, Liam. Please don’t be hurt. Please, please, please don’t be hurt. I stopped once I saw something very inhuman though.

Liam was standing in the center of the clearing, covered in green blood. A bit of red blood stained his clothes and face. His arms were bent and he was staring at what was left of his hands with wide eyes. They were growing back. His hands… They were gone a moment ago, but were now forming fingers out of.. what exactly? It looked like nothing. But that’s impossible. It can’t be. Once they healed, he screamed and hunched over. His shoulder blades started to grow as I watched. The skin ripped open and muscle started to grow on the blades. The skin stretched and started to line the bones that disconnected, popped, cracked, broke, fixed themselves, and shifted themselves into place. After the muscles formed and skin covered them, feathers started to cover the new white bird wings. He lay there, panting and hurting from forming wings.

“I… I… I… It… I-It’s… Dead.” Liam was muttering softly to himself and staring at the ground where the biggest glob of green blood was.

“What is?” I asked. This is making me nervous.

“The dragon.”

“You killed a dragon!?” My eyes widened and my mouth gaped. This is terrible.

“I didn’t mean to.”

“How did you not mean to?”

“Well, he said that Kyranous ordered everyone not to eat us.”

“Yeah…”

“Well, he left the dragons. Said he just wanted a taste.”

“So, he’s a rogue?”

“Yes. In a way.”

“So… what happened?”

“Well, I tried to approach him. I was terrified.”

“And?”

“Once my fingers touched his nose, he just… exploded.”

“But…” My mind was spinning into overdrive at this point. The only species I know who can do that is… “Carcoenians.”

“What?”

“Carcoenians. Fallen angels. You are one. Your wings… You’re a fallen angel.”

“What? But I don’t remember being kicked out of the Divine Realm.”

“Most don’t.”

“But… Then how do you know?”

“Books. They do wondrous things. I’m just glad you’re safe.” I ran over to him and gave him a great big, tight hug which he hesitantly returned.