Secret Meetings and a Death

A long, low howl erupted into the cold night. I lifted my head, my eyes now swirling brown with curiosity. I had been thinking about how I was going to sneak out next to tell Aemy what was going on. We had agreed to meet at nighttime, when Clarissa was asleep. But now, I was a little worried. I don’t know anyone around here who makes that sound. I know for sure Taeranyah and Falecia don’t.

I heard the noise again, but this time it was closer to me. It’s closing in. Instinctively, I wrapped my tail around Fadromin, Baremyth, and Hagan. They were still so small and weak, too much so so that they couldn’t defend themselves yet. I had no idea which direction the beast was coming from, so I wrapped myself completely around them. I needed to protect my kids while they’re mom’s away. She’d kill me should they get in any danger. You know what? I’ll bet she misses them.

Daddy? Is everything okay? I heard sweet Baremyth’s voice as she called out to me.

I don’t know, dears. Stay within my tail circle. I’ll protect you from whatever it is. I can’t fill them with a false sense of security. They’re “Twispies” as Aemy calls it. They have to get used to the feeling of constant danger.

I want to help, Dad. Of course Hagan would want to help. He wants to prove he’s tough. Well, they’ll all have to be.

No, son. You can’t help this one. Not yet. Even I don’t know what it is.

I believe in you, father. This time, it was Fadromin.

Good. Now go back to sleep. I’ll handle this. My eyes turned orange with alertness, and I looked all around us for something - anything - that could be a potential threat. My kids must be kept safe. Nothing can happen to them. Not like me. I felt a small burning at the back of my throat. My white fire was at the ready. It took quite a bit now, but should I choose, I’ll smoke whatever it is that thinks it can have even a lick of my children. Then, we’ll all have a midnight snack.

                                                                                        -o-

Another one. That’s the third howl tonight. What in the world is that thing? I finally crawled out of bed and got on my usual gear. Clobbering over to the door, I turned the handle and pushed it open. Nothing. The beast sounded near, but… I don’t see a thing out of the ordinary. If I am going to confront this issue, I’ll need my weapons. Let’s see, where are they? Oh, that’s right.

I went back into my living room where my bow and arrows were propped up on the wall. But where is my… oh, there it is. A leather-bound hilt that’s fatter at the ends than the middle protruded out from behind the top of the couch. I wrapped my hand around the lapis-lazuli-encrusted hilt and lifted. The familiar lightweight feel of my blade met me.

A silver gleam in the moonlight told me that my sword had been unsheathed all night. A dragon design lay embedded in the blade right next to the handle. A golden divider with small jewels the colors of the dragons separated the handle and the blade. I like lightweight blades. Although it takes more to cause serious damage than heavy blades, I find the lightweight ones are easier to control.

With my bow and arrows slung over my back and sword in hand, I started to make my way to the sound of the beast. It howled again in its deep, throaty voice. It was almost like it was calling me. Or like when a wolf claimed a kill. It probably killed one of the brats. Not like that would matter. The sound was close now. I was at the marble doors to the entrance of my Hollow. But they were… open. Why were they open? I closed them just hours ago. Before I go to sleep, I close them to make sure no one gets in or out. But here they were, jarred open as the cold winter breeze came in and ruffled my hair.