Hagan, Baremyth, Fadromin and Danger

Ready to go? Aemy asked me as I was guarding our eggs. I was to join the team on the Scanning for wishers for our kids. This was a top-secret mission, so nothing could go wrong.

But, wait, who will come with us if only you, me, and Hehth are going? Besides, Clarissa’s in the hospital. She can’t ride me. This is all so confusing for me. I stood my big, blue self up over our multicolored eggs. I had to turn them ever-so-slightly every couple of days to evenly “bake” them.

Oh, yeah, about that. Hehth will be coming with us. I don’t really trust him yet. You know, cuz he’s pissed about them.

Sure, but then, who’s going to ride us, and who’s going to guard these?

I kinda… Ran into Dileth on the way out. He’s going to watch them. Liam’s going to ride you in Clarissa’s place.

Is he really willing?

Yeah. Or you could stay here and Dileth could come with us.

Whatever you feel is best, dear. You understand Twisps the best. After all, you are one. But just know this: If they get injured in any way in Dileth’s care, I will never forgive him. I will hold this against him until we die.

I know, dear. She turned around to get her saddle in place and brushed the bottom of my chin with her tail. I love it when she does that. For the meantime, I figured I’d ask Dileth what he thought about all of this.

Uh, hey, Dileth? I called out into the open, hoping he got it.

Yes, Gadarieth, what do you want? This is about your kids, isn’t it?

Uh, yeah, actually. It is. Do you want to go on the Scan or guard the eggs? Just know that if you guard and something happens to ANY of them, I will never forgive you.

I’ll guard. I don’t really care much for Scans. They won’t be harmed. I promise.

Good. Then I’ll go. Liam will have to ride with me.

Hey, Daddy? A very young, female voice peeped out from the pink and gray egg.

Yes? What would you like? I asked. They are my first priority right now.

My brother didn’t get turned fully. He’s cold.

Why didn’t you tell me yourself? I turned to the black and blue one to turn it to the right angle for him to be warm.

I’m shy, Dad. His small voice sounded quiet. Almost scared.

It’s okay. No one’s going to hurt you.

But, Father, weren’t they talking about killing us all? The last little voice peeped in my mind. She sounded very frightened. And for good reason.

No. They won’t. Your mom and I won’t let that happen. No matter what, okay?

But you’re leaving, Daddy.

Yeah. Dad, if you and mom are gone, then what will stop them from killing us? It’s not like we can run, after all.

Don’t worry, my children. Rest easy. A good friend of mine will come protect you. He’s a brown. Named Dileth. He won’t let anything happen to you either. If he does, I’ll take personal liberty in hurting him to the same amount that he hurt you. Okay?

Alright, Father. We trust you.

Good children. Now, remember, be friendly. A friendly word could mean the difference between getting a tamer or not.