The Death of a Friend

“Bye.” I whispered after she was gone. What would I do now? I paused for a moment, thinking about my options. Getting bored, I settled on walking around the House. I went in almost a full circle, getting bored, until I came across the training arena. That’s where the blacksmiths take out new swords to test their durability. However, instead of a blacksmith, I was accompanied by a surprise. Caden and Robbie. They were sword fighting. I had no idea that Caden sword fights.

“Pretty good, aren’t they?” A masculine voice joined me leaning on the railing. I almost recognized it. Since it was sudden, I got startled and jumped. A tall man with short brown hair and eyes was looking back at me. He had a sword of his own strapped to his waist. That made me nervous. Eying it, I looked back at Caden and Robbie battling below.

“Umm… Yeah, they are. Do I know you? You seem… familiar.” I asked him.

“Indeed you do. I’m Samantha’s older brother. I was sent here by the Master Blacksmith. I’ll be here until the Imprinting, but have completed my chores. Busy?”

“No, I’m not busy. Vanos?”

“Yup. Long time, no see.”

“Yeah.” We ended up spending most days together doing this or that, and got fairly close. I taught him to hunt and we introduced Gaddie to elk, and he showed me how to make my own bows and arrows. I even got a letter from Kat one day. It read: 

Dear Mom, Rolenan, and Daddy,

Life here at Helor Nest is tough. Not at all what I thought it would be. We do chores every day and the older people tease me for being one of the youngest. Especially Bailey. Even though she’s younger than me, she joins in. So as you know, Mom, I’ve had a crush on Xanthos for quite a while now. Well as it turns out… so does she. And she’s convinced that they’re dating. He doesn’t seem to like her. I mean, every time she makes a move, he pushes her away and tries to leave. He’s so popular.

All the eggs are so beautiful though. There are 60 of them this time. Aethi, that’s Aethelswith, is so nice to us about touching them. She even let me befriend her. There are about three white eggs and one black one. No red ones. There are a couple of gold eggs, and about 10 bronzes. There is only one purple egg, a couple of brown ones, and the rest are blues and greens. I don’t understand all these people arguing about who gets the biggest or most “precious”. It’s so sad. It’s almost like they only want power, not the dragon. I mean, that’s gotta hurt the dragons’ feelings, right?

I don’t want a big one. I just want one. I’m focusing all my love and energy on a green one. She’s a little bit away from the others, but she’s amazing. Her name is Quiannan. She actually shares a lot of things in common with me. It’s so cool. I kinda feel like I really need her now. I wish you all were here. I really miss you all. Did Rolenan pass his exam? Oh, I have to go.

I love you all. See you soon.

Yekaterina

Wanting to give her a reply as soon as possible, I called my family into my room. We all talked about how to reply, and I would write them down. They would say their parts and I would give her dragon advice, being the only tamer in the family so far. We finally decided on this:

Dear Yekaterina,

We all love you too and want you to know that we will be at the Imprinting. All of us will. Rolenan passed his test, but he has a day off then for you. See you soon, Kittykat.

Life as a wisher is tough. There are a lot of chores to do, and if you don’t do them right, then you could affect so much. Whatever you do dear, do not fight on the Egging Sands. No matter what. That will get you disqualified. Okay? Your experience with Quiannan sounds like mine with Gaddie. That’s good. We love you. See you soon, baby.