The Truth About Kimmy and My Father

"Robbie. We should go. Something is very wrong." Caden's hurried voice echoed off the empty walls of the great hallway where we all stood. My bow lay drawn in my hand, ready to shoot at anything that moved. The fountain wasn't working, the candles were out. It was quiet. Too quiet.

"Shh. We don't know where she is." Liam hushed her up.

Guys, get out! Quiannan's frightened voice alerted all of us a second too late before a large fireball materialized right in front of us and blew up the ground in front of us. We all got knocked back into something. There was something unnatural about all of that. Nothing but us was affected by that fireball. A feminine cackle sounded from somewhere in the room. Her voice bounced off the walls so it was impossible to tell where she was.

My bow had fired when I got knocked back and ricocheted off the chandelier. It impaled itself through my leg and puncturing the floor, holding me in place. Quiannan had been silenced from all of us. I let out a sharp agony-filled yell, followed by slight groaning in pain.

I activated one of the new Epicinean powers I'd found out I had, and my senses connected to Taeranyah's. My eyes turned a soft golden color and I could now see in the dark. What I saw was terrifying.

My old friend Megan had her left arm outstretched towards Caden. Caden was pinned against the wall, her arms out. She looked like she was choking and nothing was holding her up except Rabnahiaem inside Megan. Megan's eyes were black. She turned to look at me and I swore to Injgemard she could see straight into my soul. She looked back at Caden and flicked her right hand in Caden's direction. A bone-breaking scream echoed off the walls followed by a loud boom. Then another. And another. Boom. Boom. Boom.

Finally, the door caved in and landed on Kimmy's leg. It let light shine in, so I didn't have to see everything in the green sight of nocturnal vision. Kimmy yelped, then the door flew to the side. I could swear that for a second, her eyes showed the same pale black.

Litherith soon came to tend to Kimmy and Aethelswith, who had broken down the door, flamed Megan. Nothing happened. No part of Megan was even singed. But how is that possible?

Robbie seemed about ready to pass out when he called my name from all the confusion.

"Clarissa!" I was alerted just in time to see him toss a knife in my direction. Megan frowned, focusing on him and rendering him useless. Liam was nowhere to be found.

As soon as I caught the knife, I felt a power surge through my veins. I knew exactly what to do. Liam pounced on her from behind, flattening her to the ground and breaking her hold on Caden. I limped my way over to her and imagined what she was like before all this.

I remembered how we met, her panic over torturing Winona. I remembered her prank on me and Kimmy in the woods, her joy with Indirica and Finn. I remembered the Counsiling and when she got her wings. I remembered the laughs, the good and bad times. Then I pushed down next to her heart with both arms and all my strength. She screamed. My abdominal muscles hurt very badly like when I laugh too much or too hard. The black left her eyes and smoke exited through her mouth. It hovered for a moment before wrapping itself around my lower stomach area and absorbing itself into my skin. But I didn't feel any different. Megan was asleep on the floor.

I wasn't sure why, but it was like the Epicinean knife in my hand was leading me somewhere. I went up the stairs into a study-like room. The knife left my hand and flew to one of the floor tiles. It pushed it up to reveal a leather-bound journal with a dragon's head staring at the reader on it. The journal had "Draco Ratliff" etched into the bottom left corner of the red leather. I grabbed it and prepared to take my friends back to Epicene Hollow.