Chapter One

"Dear Dad,"

The sun rose over the walls of Lumiose City, the fresh morning dew dripping from the bright green summer leaves of the parks around the waking metropolis.

"I know this may be a shock, but we both know it's been a long time coming."

Corina brushed her long pink hair out of her eyes as she tightened the laces of her sneakers. Her heart was pounding wildly with anxiety.

"I'm sorry I can't tell you in person, but I think we both know it'd turn into a fight."

She checked the last of her items in her brown shoulder bag before fastening all the pockets shut.

"I'm going on my journey, whether you want me to or not."

Corina gazed at her reflection in her mirror and fixed her dark red-violet-colored skirt and chunky pink sweater. She bit her bottom lip, and her eyes shifted to her partner pokemon, Eda, a Flaaffy in the reflection. Eda had a nervous but supportive smile on her face to match her friend's.

"This is what's best for Eda and me. I hope you can understand."

Corina opened her bedroom door, took one last look around her room, then shut the door behind her.

"I love you."

Corina and Eda rushed down the steps of their apartment and walked out into their family-owned bakery on the first floor. The lights were already on, and her co-worker, Alister, was cleaning the display case with his Swirlix.

"Your daughter, Corina."

Alister looked up at her as she locked the door to the stairwell. "Hey, Corina, here to help me open up?"

"Not today. I'm finally leaving."

He shook his head. "Yeah, right."

"You don't believe me?"

"Corina, you've been talking about leaving since the first day I started working here. See you when you decide to come back in a few hours." He replied, dismissing her immediately and getting back to work.

"You'll see! I'm stopping by Sycamore's office. Then I'm gone!"

He made a short wave over his shoulder as she stomped out of the small cafe, with Eda following behind her.

Corina made her way up the familiar lab steps she'd walked so many times before. But today, she could tell she was different. She stepped inside to be hit with the friendly wave of bitter coffee and the savory smells of the pokemon sanctuary just beyond the glass doors.

"Hello? Professor? Leon?" She called out into the lab. It was early in the morning, but knowing her mentor and friend, they'd have been up at least an hour ago.

A young man stepped out from behind the corridor, his long dark blue hair tied back in a bun and a slight stubble adorning his jawline, which was becoming sharper by the day. "Hey, Corina! It's a little early for you to be here." He smiled at her.

"Hey Leon, is the Professor around?"

"Yeah, he's in the back with me. Come on." He nodded for her to follow him, and she hustled into step with him. "So, why are you here so early? Don't you have to open up at the café before your Dad gets back from his trip?"

"It's a surprise."

"A surprise? Oh! Did you bring me some of those chocolate croissants?"