Chapter Sixteen

Corina woke up in the morning in her home in Lumiose City. She'd been back in Kalos for about a few weeks now, and the Kalos League was starting tomorrow. Alola had been relaxing and engaging, and she'd done lots of training with her new pokemon, Lani, but she had missed home. She got dressed and went downstairs to see the café bustling with the morning crowd, Alistair operating the counter with his partner while her father restocked the display case. The tourist crowd was higher than usual, with the Kalos League starting up.

"Morning, Corina!" Her father smiled when he saw her and Eda walk in.

"Morning, Dad. We're heading over to the lab. Lots of preparing to do for tomorrow." He nodded, and she left the familiar café, the bell jingling above the door as it shut behind her.

The cobbled streets were homey and familiar as she made her way to Professor Sycamore's lab. "You know, Eda, it's nice to be back, but the city doesn't feel as big anymore, you know?"

"Ampphaa."

"Now that we've been all over and seen so much, the world doesn't feel as strange anymore." She smiled, looking around at the trainers visiting around, people going to work, and tourists studying city maps. They arrived at the front steps of the lab and smiled. "At least it'll always feel like home."

"Ampphaaa." Eda bleated, nodding her head. They walked up the steps together and entered the lab.

"Professor! I'm here!" She called out, heading to the sanctuary first. She found the Professor and Leon feeding the pokemon for the morning.

"Ahh, Corina, good to see you." He smiled.

"Hey, Corina! Do you mind giving a hand?"

She nodded and let out her own pokemon. Lani was a bit shy but was getting used to all of the pokemon. Eda and the others were ensuring she mingled well.

Corina walked up to them and began filling the food bowls.

"So, Corina, what do you think you'll do next? After the League is over?" Professor Sycamore asked.

"I think I'll actually stay in one place for a while."

"Really? You're done with your journey?" Leon looked up at her.

"Not sure I'll ever really be done exploring, but I think I could take a break for a while. I think it'd be nice to make a little foothold somewhere."

"Well, as always, you're welcome here."

"Thank you, Professor."

"Are you looking forward to the Kalos League tomorrow?" Leon asked.

"Yeah, I always look forward to the Kalos League. It's always so exciting. There's just something different in the air around that time, you know?" She answered. "How has Mairin been? Any updates?" Corina's eyes went up to the Professor as he put the last lid back on the food, stretching his back. He frowned and shook his head.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"They still can't tell quite what's wrong. Lysandre has made it his personal responsibility, but Chespie is still comatose. She's going to be around for the League. I'm sure she'll be happy to see you."

"She'll be here?"

"Yes. She's accompanying Lysandre. And she's excited to see Alain, too."

She had figured Alain would be participating in the League. "Alain is back in Lumiose?"

The Professor nodded. "I saw his name on the list of competitors. It's been so long. I'm looking forward to seeing him. Aren't you?" Professor Sycamore looked hopeful, his gray-blue eyes bright. She hadn't told him about the last conversation she'd had with Alain.