Chapter 15: Separated Lives

It’s been months since Taemi went to jail. I am still so upset on why she must sacrifice herself and go to jail instead. Is it because she does not want to continue to live? I should’ve brought her to the hospital to check up… arghh! Now I’m regretting it. The convenience store that I previously worked at closed down so I’ve to work at another convenience store. 

“Hey… Look who’s that.” I heard a voice as I looked up. Isn’t it that freshman that likes Taemi? I suddenly remembered that the convenience store that I worked at is much nearer to Taemi’s school. School must’ve just ended as I saw lots of students walking past here. The previous time I saw the freshman was when I fetched Taemi home from school. It wasn't any special day but it’s just something I could only do to make her feel happier. Now looking at that freshman again, he looks different… the way he talks and his gestures plus the way he walks… Everything is so different. 

“Where’s Taemi?” He walked towards me, putting down the coffee at the cashier counter since I’m there. I didn’t reply to him but I just smiled. “You’re too young to drink coffee.” I tried to change the subject. He turned around and looked at his friends. He laughed loudly and replied, “who cares if I’m drinking coffee? It’s not like I’m drinking beer or something.” “Oh yeah, our teacher said that Taemi went into an incident and will not be attending school anymore, is that true?” He continued with a weird looking expression. I just nodded and quickly took his cash and really wished he could leave as soon as possible. He looked like he knew exactly what happened to Taemi but was trying to play with me… Sang Won… I thought as I stared at his name tag. 

It’s quite lonely without Taemi… especially because I didn’t visit her at all. Not because I didn’t like her, it’s because I didn’t know what to say and when to start… and the moment I don’t visit her for a month, that same hesitation just keeps dragging and dragging. I know I shouldn’t be saying this but, now with mum and dad, and Taemi being in jail (I know I can visit her…), I feel like I’m so lost with no one beside me… everything seems to just fall on me and just squish me down.

 I know I shouldn’t be saying this but, now with mum and dad, and Taemi being in jail (I know I can visit her…), I feel like I’m so lost with no one beside me… everything seems to just fall on me and just squish me down

Taemi POV
I’m bored to death here… Everything and everyday just felt like it’s on a repeat, maybe except for studying. But studying in jail is definitely not the best… it’s so noisy and super irritating, I wish I could shut everyone’s mouth. Yet I’m so glad I’m away from those toxic friends. Now thinking about it, I should’ve avoided them in the first place, they’re the worst too. 

As I was reading, I looked up and saw a gang of ladies come up to me. “Look who’s there, another pathetic soul?” A woman said she seemed like the leader in that gang, having her sleeves rolled up and walking like a gangster. I carefully placed my bookmark on the page that I’m reading and put my book down, waiting for her to continue. “Acting cool huh? How dare you look at me like that, you pathetic soul.” She continued. She definitely wants to look for trouble. So I just stared at her, waiting for her to punch me. I mean… isn't it common in dramas? Like some prison “thing”. Just like this, she punched me right to my face, releasing all her anger and suffering. The lunch was so strong I landed on the floor, I was bleeding, but not as bad as the last time I saw my dad. She grabbed my collar and pulled me up, making me feel suffocated, but I didn’t do anything. My aim is just to graduate and leave the prison as soon as possible. Soon enough, the “security” guards came and stopped her, she let go of her grip as I dropped on the floor gasping for air. I seriously have no mood to feel angry anymore. I just sat there, looking at the guards dragging away that pathetic soul. 

It’s lunch time… I sat down on the floor alone looking at the food. It looks disgusting. More disgusting than the food from the convenience store Taehyung brought home. I would say I’m quite lucky to have the whole room myself, more space and more quietness to study. The first bite was as disgusting as I thought. Maybe she went to have prostitution… hahaha! Those thoughts kept on coming and coming. The more I think, the more I feel upset and angry. I sat down, ate as I cried. I hate you Sang Won. I tried to blame everything on him even though this idea of me staying in prison was my idea. 

No matter what, I’ll do well and graduate. Whether it’ll be in school, at the hospital or at the prison, I’ll do well and show everyone that I’ve done it. The impossible. 

Author’s mini note: I just wanna say this, do your best in whatever you want! Don’t be discouraged on small things and just focus on your goals. To be very honest, who the hell knows what you're gonna be in future? 

“Suffering is a door that opens onto a new world.” 
- Cardinal Kim Sou Hwan