Chapter 19: Compensation

Our first stop before moving is at Han River/Hangang. It’s the cheapest but most worthy place to visit. In fact, it’s free, the money you need to spend on is just food or for entertainment only. We ate our lunch over there and tried skateboarding so we bought each other one. We had so much fun as we learnt skateboarding and spent the whole day there. 

Our second stop is at the Lotte World Adventure in Korea. We had lots of fun there as it is the first time too. Although everything seems pretty expensive and new there, it’s good to feel like a tourist once in a while. We spent literally the whole day over there as we chatted so much but never once talked about our past. We only dared to talk about our future and plans ahead. We decided to be positive and never thought about the past although there were some nights we cried to sleep. Taemi was more courageous than I was. I was rather shocked. She seems more independent than I was. It felt like maybe it’s because when we were forced to part ways for a year, her weak body started to become so much more positive mentally and got so independent too. It felt like she’s not the Taemi I used to know. It almost felt like she's not that sister that needs protection but a girl that shows how much she could grow within a year. I’m so proud of her. 

However, I know there’s still some grudges and sadness inside us, as I still remember those horrible but worthy days without Taemi, I vent it all on a stupid bean bag, learnt a little of boxing and so I brought her to the same exact place and explained to her everything (not really). “Come on, try punching this bean bag,” I encouraged Taemi to make her fist punch right after we warmed ourselves up. After she punched it, she started to punch again and again, harder and harder. She started sobbing with a precious smile on her face. She then understood why I always came here when she was in prison. It’s because I always didn't know how to vent my anger and sadness and so that’s how I ended up here. We both lay on the floor after boxing for hours, I felt that we’ve grown closer. Last time, we would never smile at each other just because it’ll become awkward afterwards. This time, we didn’t care whether we laughed, cried or even made funny faces at each other because we started to grow a strong bond with each other. “Let’s come here every month!” That’s how we decided to come here monthly. 

Things got even better as we rented a small apartment in the countryside and decided to use our savings to open a small skateboard stall that also includes a DIY skateboard workshop too. Although the neighbourhood is a little empty, it's located near a beach and so our dream business went pretty stable and lasted longer than I expected.