Start Here! 1

Hff.

Your back hits the hammock, and you stare up at the cold, concrete ceiling. Distant chatter echoes all around you like a dim thunder, and you can hear the whirring of someone working a while off.

"Long day?" A voice echoes, and you look up. A boy with shaggy black hair is climbing the ladder to your block. 

"Not really," you lie, swinging over in your hammock. It's tattered, like everything here, but it's yours. You always bring it with you when the factionless move. 

He gives an exaggerated nod, hauling himself up and letting himself dangle with his feet off the edge. "It's testing day for the factions. Of course you're not okay."

He's right. Of course he's right. Emery's known you since you were a kid.

You shake your head. All you've ever wanted was to live in a faction, away from the reproach of being born Factionless.

They won't let you try the serum, and they won't let you Choose, either.

"Sooo," Emery says, scratching the back of his neck and pulling something out of his pocket. "What would you say if a special someone happened to have some of that serum?"

You knife to your feet. "What?"

He turns his head with a smug grin and slides you a needle. "What? Can't hurt to try. Stole one of the receptors, too, so I can see all your darkest secrets."

You swallow. This might not be the chance you're looking for, but it's something, and it wouldn't hurt just to try it, right?

If you try the stolen simulation, go to page 4.

If you pass it up, go to page 2.

If you insist Emery tries it instead, go to page 3.