Chapter 3 : Powers

The next morning, Taylor called me with interesting news. It was something neither of us had expected. Sure we expected tails and scales but, the thing she called me about caught me off guard. She had some sort of magical mermaid powers. I put my phone on speaker as she told me the news,

"Jessica, you'll never believe what I did." She began excitedly. Even though I couldn't see her I could tell she had a huge smile on her face.

"What happened?" I mused, expecting that she would tell me about an award from school.

She took a deep breath with care, as if she was going to say something historic. "I can freeze water." She was quiet for a moment as I took it in.

"What?" I questioned, before it finally hit me. She wasn't talking about ice in the freezer. She had actually froze the water herself. "How?"

"I froze the water with my hand. I was watering my flowers when all of a sudden the water from the can stopped flowing. I knew it was full, so I looked inside. The water was frozen solid. At first I didn't know I caused it. I thought something had happened to it. Then it hit me, I had done it."

"How did you know it was you?" I asked. "Did you freeze something again?"

"Yes," she told me, "I poured some water in a glass and put my hand out, with my fingers curved. I concentrated on making ice, Jessica. The water froze like the other water did."

"Woah," I thought aloud as I looked at my hands. Maybe they could do the same. "You need to come over here and show me. I might have a power."

"Definitely. I'll be right over." She smiled, hanging up her mobile.

-

Moments later, Taylor arrived at my house. She waved as she walked inside. I guided her to the kitchen where I had two glasses of water set on the table. Taylor sat at a chair as I stood, watching her with anticipation. This was going to be so cool!

She put her hand out in front of her near one glass, while she curved it, with fingers down. She paused and the glass started to get foggy with coldness. Ice formed quickly on the outside, while the inside began to crack as ice was created. I heard soft cracking sounds as the whole cup iced over.

My mouth was open in wonder as Taylor turned back to me, proud of herself and what she had done. "How about you try?" She suggested with a grin.

"Sure," I said, sitting next to her.

I did the same motion she did. Nothing happened. I waited a moment to see if that would help. Still nothing. I tried to concentrate, hoping that the water would freeze or do something, anything. I did a hand signal that looked similar to what Spider-Man seemed to do, still nothing. I sighed, slightly frustrated. Taylor gave me a small smile of encouragement as I continued. I took a deep breath and focused, putting my hand vertical, almost directly facing the cup.

Instantly, the inside of the cup started to fog and gurgle. I looked inside as I put my hand down. The water was turning into jelly. At least it appeared that way. Had I done something wrong? Wasn't it supposed to freeze? While I was thinking, the water kept creating jelly. It was oozing out of it.

"How do I make it stop?" I questioned, stupidly expecting Taylor to know.

"I don't know," She put her hand out, attempting to freeze it. "Let me freeze it."

"Let me try. I want to see if I am able."

I stopped topped her, as I put my hand out. Maybe, since I started this, I could finish it. I focused on my hand, hopping the jelly would stop but, it did something that would shock both Taylor and I. The jelly had hardened. We looked at it curiously.