𝟾

Ch

Ch. 8

4:13pm
THE NEXT DAY
𝙰𝚝𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚊, 𝙶𝙰

"How long are you gonna stay mad at me, Yanna?" King rolled his eyes as he walked into the kitchen where his sister was sitting at the island eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes.

"As long as I want to." She mumbled back, focusing her attention on the TikTok playing on her phone.

Iyanna left the Young's house late last night to make the drive up to her brother's condo. Yanna figured giving Moni some time to collect her thoughts alone was best for her. She knew she was already being pressured by everyone around her to come clean, and Yanna didn't want to add to that pressure more than she knew she already has. King also knew that finding a good and cost-worthy place to live down here wasn't easy, so he offered his condo to Iyanna until she finds a permanent place to settle down.

He was more than happy to let his sister stay with him, seeing as they'd grown way more distant than he could have ever imagined. They were still close, but it seemed like transparent communication between the two was a broken bridge — one that he was willing to repair. After all, that is his only sibling.

But when Yanna walked into the condo and found Sada and her brother hugged up on the couch, a million questions arose in her head. Yanna understood Moni's mindset a little better and why she wasn't completely willing to tell King about their daughter after finding out he was with her cousin. After finding the couple on the couch together — the gravity of how fucked up this entire situation is was becoming evidently clear to her.

"You-"

"You're just so wrong, King." Iyanna shook her head as she clicked the power button on her phone and set it faced down on the counter. "I mean, her cousin. Really?"

King ran his hand over his hair. He knew. He knew he was fucked up. But the disappointing look on his sister's face and in her eyes made him feel like shit even more. From the start, he knew getting with Sada was gonna have him facing major repercussions eventually. But now that it was actually time for him to face those repercussions, he was starting to question whether or not getting with Sada was even worth it.

King slid into the stool next to his sister, sitting on his side and resting his forearm on the counter. "All I know is after Moni left, I was broken as fuck. I know niggas don't really like admitting shit like that, but I don't care. Her leaving broke me more than momma leaving did. She was my right hand, and she just up and left like that."

Yanna's eyes softened as she stared at her brother. The hurt was written all over his face. She never thought he'd compare it to their mother's departure though. Iyanna and Katriel's mother, Nova, was sent to a rehab center for two years. At the time, Yanna had just turned 7 and Katriel was 8.  The man Nova was in a relationship with before she got back with her baby daddy had gotten her very heavy on drugs.