Two

A/N: Song recommendation: Forest Blakk- If you love her

---

Some months later

Steve had caught himself again quite quickly. It seemed like he needed the push from Bucky.
The death of their mother also hurt him immensely but it seemed he could handle it better.

Rosie was slowly getting better. The emptiness in her disappeared more and more, piece by piece.
She definitely still had a lot to work on, but she got her will to live back.

Unlike Steve, who dealt with his grief by going back out on the street and getting beat up, Rose needed rest and distraction.

Bucky helped her so much that she couldn't put it into words.
He tried to distract her at every opportunity, whether it was going for a walk or reading a book to each other.
He was always thinking of something new.
To be honest, he enjoyed spending time with her.
She triggered something in him, he felt completely carefree in her proximity and could forget the time and the world around him.

Jimmy Barnes, who had long since returned from his short business trip, took to them like his own children.
He knew them after all already where they were still small bullies who had made the streets unsafe.

Without Bucky and his family they would probably never have made ends meet and gone the wrong way.
Meanwhile they lived together like a big family.

Steve and Rose struggled through life with mini-jobs in addition to school and the two siblings managed this surprisingly well.

1937

Bucky and Rose were getting closer and closer over the last few months.
Both had their eyes on the other and had been for some time.
However, neither dared to reveal his feelings to the other.

One evening when Bucky was sitting in Steve's room, he mustered up all his courage.

"Steve?" he began without really knowing how to continue the sentence.
He was sitting on the edge of the bed, nervously playing with his fingers.
Steve immediately noticed that something was wrong, because his best friend was not the type to be nervous, certainly not with him.

"I-I wanted to tell you something...and that is..."

Steve knew immediately what it was about and interrupted Bucky in his sentence.
"Buck. Maybe you shouldn't be sitting here with me in the room trying to tell me something? Maybe you should go in the next room and try there."
Steve patted him on the shoulder and grinned when he saw how confused Bucky looked at him.

"B-But you don't even know what I was going to say," he stammered to himself.

With a raised eyebrow, Steve looked at his best friend.

"Buck. I have a lot of diseases but I'm not blind. I've noticed the way you look at her for a few years now. And now. Now after our mother's death. You helped her out of the vicious circle and you spent a lot of time together. Go to her and tell her. The way you look and smile at each other, I have no doubt she doesn't feel the same way about you."

Bucky bit his lower lip and thought for a moment.
Steve's encouragement gave him new courage.
With a jerk, he stood up and left the room.
Less than two seconds later, Bucky turned to look back into the room.

Steve, still sitting on the edge of the bed, saw only his best friend's head peeking through the crack in the door.

"Go on now!" shouted Steve laughing at him.