Thirty-five

A/N: This time I would really like you to listen to the song 'Till the End of Time by Perry Como while you read this chapter, it's relatively short but a round ending💗

---
2028

"Are you sure this is how it belongs Sweetie?"

"Yaaa dad and now hold still."

Bucky sat in the middle of the living room on the floor while Violet, now 5 years old, cut his hair, strand by strand.

---

After the wedding, Rose and Bucky had worked together with the Avengers for a little over a year. But when they learned that Rose was pregnant, they had decided to go into well-earned retirement.

They buy a house in East Aurora. Just as they had imagined back then, they now lived in a small town outside the world metropolis, away from the fights and the problems.

On 06.06.2023 Violet Rebecca Barnes saw the light of day. She had bright blue eyes, dark brown hair and freckles adorned her little snub nose.
She was a real whirlwind and made the whole house unsafe with her ideas, which she always had.

In September 2026, little Ethan Barnes made the family happiness perfect.

Because Rose and Bucky had the super soldier serum in their bodies and this had changed the DNA of both, it was no surprise that the two children also had certain abilities.
They couldn't throw red energy balls around or hover over the ground like Wanda, but their senses were sharpened to the maximum.
Nothing escaped the little ears and eyes.

The two children had a childhood that couldn't be more beautiful. Rose and Bucky were totally absorbed in their roles as parents.

Bucky regularly took part in the tea parties organized by Violet. He often sat with glitter crown and tulle skirt on the floor of the nursery and drank tea together with Princess Violet and her dolls, while they talked about the gossip that made the rounds at court.

With Ethan he built soapboxes and even organized whole races with the children and fathers from the neighborhood.

By 2027, Steve and Natasha had also decided to start a family, adopting a boy named Jeremy from the Czech Republic.

Regularly Bucky and Rose got visits from them and also from the other Avengers, they had become like a big family.

In 2041 Violet successfully graduated from high school and then went to John Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland to study medicine.

Ethan also graduated from high school in 2044 and went on to study law at Tulane University in New Orleans, LA.

Rose and Bucky lived their lives to the fullest, traveling the world and their love for each other was always like the first day.

Bucky never missed an opportunity to surprise his Rose and show her how much he loved her. He brought her bouquets of flowers but also often just left post it's around the house with little messages on it.

Violet and Ethan became successful in their professions and after some time they also started their own families.

Violet had already met her husband in college and Ethan met his husband by chance in a coffee shop.

Rose and Bucky became grandparents to four grandchildren and great-grandparents to five.

Because they lived in different states, they didn't see each other as often as they would have liked. But once a month it was mandatory that they came to visit.

In 2085, the couple sold their home and moved into a retirement community back in Manhattan, New York. There they lived for about a decade relatively agile.

In 2096, both were already very weak and both knew that the time would soon come when one would have to say goodbye to the other.
Physically they were old, but in their minds they were still the Rose and Bucky they knew from the 40s.

Rose fought with herself, she fought for her survival. She didn't want to put the burden of losing her on Bucky again. If anyone was going to die first, it was going to be her.

One night they lay in bed together, from the beginning they had shared a room and a bed in the facility. Not for a second were they separated from each other.

Arm in arm they lay in the bed which was illuminated by the moonlight through the window. Once again, the two reviewed their lives, they rummaged in their memories.
Of their meeting as children, of their engagement in 1943, of the war, when they found each other again in 2018, their first dance together in the new world in Harpers Ferry, of Julia, of their wedding, their house building, the births of their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, the memories as a young family.

They both smiled faintly at each other and Bucky stroked Rose one of her bright white strands of hair behind her ear. The looks they exchanged were still filled with full love toward each other.

"I love you darling, until the end of time." He gave her a kiss on her forehead and Rose buried her head in his chest one last time, listening to his weak heart beat.
She noticed how it was constantly slowing down.
A scattered tear rolled down her cheek. She knew it was time to let go, she had to let him go and then she too could close her eyes forever in peace.
She snuggled close to him and they both held each other with their weak arms as tight as they could.

"I love you too Buckster, 'till the end of time."