chapter 33

The Scars of the Past

A number of days had passed since yourself and Arthur had called Applewood Creek your home

After a short while, the regime of waking up in a bed each morning under a secure roof didn't shock you as much anymore. The fear of being exposed to the elements was no more as you woke up each day, Arthur usually at work (bar his lay ins til 7am on a Sunday) - and you had free run of your new little home to do as you pleased.

This mainly involved cleaning, washing and lots of sewing. It seemed Rancher Arthur was much more prone to wrecking his clothes than Outlaw Arthur had been. You smiled at the shift in his wardrobe over the last five days or so, having been out and bought some full leather chaps as well as some more comfortable shirts and more durable riding jeans, as well as some more boots. You were elated it appeared he was so much more comfortable in this life than you could have ever envisaged. It was a great relief.

Your wardrobe too had shifted, your old skirts and work dresses from the old days making an appearance again - the riding pants and blouses, as well as your old gun belts and holsters all set in a case under your bed, perhaps destined never to see the light of day again.

It was a blissful weekday morning, and you were drying last night's plates and cutlery as you watched the ranch's day unfold outside your window. Some of the stallions had been turned out into one of the paddocks with the mares earlier on in the day, and every now and again one of the workers would stop by and supervise to make sure they were all getting along well - perhaps in anticipation of some breeding.

Arthur and Artemis had both adapted well to the working outdoor lifestyle. For a horse that had known nothing but bullet spray and harsh conditions, Artemis seemed to integrate well into her new life. She was a good herding horse, albeit she spent her first day or so broncking excitedly at all the galloping horses and their foals- as the workers had guided them out to one of the far paddocks not too far from the beautiful wildflower meadows.

Fox however was sadly turning into a bit of a field ornament as of late (and you feared he'd be a chunky one). So, with a plan in mind to at last say thank you to the Leverson family for their warm welcome - after your chores, you headed out to the small turnout area beside the cabin and saddled up Fox, a parchment with a shopping list in hand for a few things you needed around the home, as well as the ingredients for a fresh Victoria sponge.

"Good boy," you smiled sweetly to your blood bay thoroughbred, as you climbed into the saddle for what felt like the first time in eternity. Patting his neck, you gathered up the reins and began to plod up towards the main gate - quickly checking your note whilst Fox wasn't going any speed to make sure you hadn't missed anything.