chapter 10

Honest Means

The adrenaline rush of the job with Lenny melted away after a few days, and you rather surprised yourself at how content you were with not being in the midst of danger and excitement for a few days

You'd done the chores you previously couldn't be bothered with, making sure to keep up to date under the scrutinising watch of a certain Miss Grimshaw. It was nice, finding the balance between the big, scary, life threatening jobs and the tepid monotony of sewing a shirt.

This particular mid morning, you'd finished some boring little jobs and found yourself sitting at the old wood table in the centre of camp - with Arthur and Hosea. It wasn't essentially clear how you'd come to sit with them, or laugh with their jokes and their stories. The best part was you'd ended up with a cup of Hosea's magically delicious coffee in hand and you were happier than a pig in muck.

"Remember that horse you were gonna break and sell on?" Hosea's eyes twinkled with amusement as Arthur looked down with bashful sniggers.

"Yes, Hosea." He sounded tired at recollecting the tale, but his smile entailed humour alongside embarrassment.

"Arthur stole this beautiful," Hosea started, gesticulating dramatically, "and I mean gorgeous Friesian horse. Stallion, I think. It was a handful."

You glanced back over to the outlaw who was leaned casually in his seat with a coy smirk, listening to Hosea's account.

"It was a bastard." Hosea chuckled, "Arthur musta' fell of that horse more times that I could count."

The older man readjusted his worn old hat as his laughter rumbled on, obviously mentally recollecting the story.

"The best part was when the thing reared and Arthur fell off into the muck heap."

The mental image of a perturbed but determined Arthur trying to tame a fiery stallion, covered in horse manure, caused you to break into laughter, your gaze on Hosea - you went amiss to Morgan's grin widening at the sound of your chuckles.

"And now he likes to tell everyone about it." Arthur added soon after, rolling his eyes sarcastically. "Like you ain't got any funnier stories."

Taking a sip of the warming coffee, you looked on as Arthur folded his arms across his chest, the grey stand collar shirt fitting his form almost a little too perfectly.

"Well, I'm sure (name) would love to hear about the time Pearson got drunk and fell asleep in an ants nest." Hosea then tried, and your attention visibly spiked - eyes sparkling in interest and curiosity.