chapter 34

Changes, Welcome or Not

Some months later

It was blissful to watch the seasons change without having to worry about running anymore; seeing the leaves meld from green to orange without the frustration of following choices you didn't agree with.

Instead, you had been quite happy to take a seat on your cabin porch - your previously lacking appreciation for sewing having blossomed once you'd taught yourself to make small blankets and baby jumpers.

The child within you was well present now, most evident in the large swell of your stomach that blocked you from seeing your feet at the best of times. They reminded you day and night with constant kicking and turning that they were very much alive and growing each day.

Arthur's passion for his job had only grown as Applewood Creek became more of a home than any place the man had ever known. For a former ruthless criminal, Arthur had rather taken to the gentle nature of breaking horses and delivering foals. Hell, the idea of even seeing him point a gun at someone anymore seemed a ghost of the past - something that just didn't seem plausible anymore.

The bright autumnal sun shone down on Applewood's vast paddocks and outbuildings on that fine late morning, as you had once again taken residence in the rocking chair Arthur built for you, surveying the goings on with little worries or stress, hands skilfully knitting away at another blanket.

Mr Leverson and his son Peter had grown to trust Arthur like family. He had proved as much he could handle just about any horse - give confidence to a quiet one and tame the fires out of the wiliest beasts.

So, they had purchased a unique coated Missouri Fox Trotter, a Buckskin Brindle mare. She was a little bossy, the previous owners having let the horse walk all over her. Of course, the Leverson men knew the one ranch hand they could entrust this mare too.

You'd watched Arthur bring her on leaps and bounds from your little cabin porch, poor Artemis and Fox both integrating out into the paddocks with the other horses as they didn't get ridden as much anymore (especially Fox, considering your condition).

To get the mare used to pretty much every circumstance, once she was broken Arthur rode her out all over the farm - up into town when needed too and soon the brattish mare had fallen into form as a pretty and well traversed horse.

Naturally, the Leverson's were proud of Arthur's work - and the relation with the family and the other folks working on the ranch grew stronger. In fact, Arthur almost became third in command underneath Peter. He was well respected by all, and you always secretly gushed in pride over how far he had come in a life you knew he had been nervous to step into. But ultimately, it had been the best decision for you both.