Blood - Chapter 16

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Dark brown eyes opened slowly, very much in contrast to the bright white room and furniture.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Then the strong smell of medicine.

Her eyes fluttered as she got used to the surrounding light before examining what was before her...

Monitors and machinery. It seemed that they only thing hooked up to her was to check her pulse and IV levels, going at a steady pace.

"Wh... what? What happened?" she slowly sat up and realized she was still in her clothes from... before, just without the jacket.

She didn't know how much time had passed, nor what time it was.

"H-hello?" she called out and her voice just echoed around the room.

Hermione was about to lightly stretch until her arm gave a pinching pain, she winced with a hiss and looked down at her arm.

There were bandages around certain parts of her arm, and then suddenly she felt a bit of aching throughout her body which turned out to be bruises.

Oh right, she remembered she was cut and thrown away.

Oh wait- she remembered the last thing she saw before it went all dark... armed police and Ron waving a knife at them... and gunshots.

"Gunshots-" her voice cracked midway through the word and she held her hand to her mouth to muffle a gasp.

Suddenly her heart started aching, and her eyes had started watering, her breath hitched and now was fast. The pulse monitor raising as she realized what happened.

Her hand remained over her mouth to muffle her cries, Did he really die?!

Did Ron just... die before my eyes? she removed her hand slowly, resting it shakily on her lap as she stared at the ceiling, sniffling and hiccupping.

He didn't know what he was doing! He was... he was suffering at that moment so much... and I left him home alone... 

Hermione looked at her hands before they curled into fists, "Am I... really the most wonderful person that he calls me? Am I that brilliant?" her voice raspy.

"I'm so pathetic that I let someone die... I can't even make a friend," she sobbed.

The door opened quickly after a light knock and a nurse rushed in but stopping midway of walking in, "Oh, you're conscious!"

He rushed over to Hermione's bedside, checking the monitors and status, "Hmm... you seem fine... your levels and pressure are high because-" he glanced at Hermione's crying state and decided to not say anymore.

The nurse walked over a button and pressed it, she assumed it was a silent call for a doctor or extra staff to come in.

He stood back, grabbing a clipboard, and looked at the bushy-haired woman, "Do you remember who you are?"

"Her-Hermione Grang... Granger," she managed between breaths and sniffles, "currently a l-law student of the London School of Economics and Political Science."

"Good," he marked on his clipboard, "do you remember what happened before you passed out?"

Hermione inhaled sharply, nodding with tears slowly falling, to which the nurse kindly offered tissues.