A Stray Dog - Chapter 12

No, this can't be happening.

"It appears you two know each other," Luna chirped behind Hermione, "in fact to a further level it seems. Well, I'll let you two be, of course you don't want to talk to me."

"W... what?" Hermione repeated.

"Hey," the man said once more, giving a broken smile, he let out a small wheeze which whiffed of... cigarettes.

She looked over at his eyes which were tired and bloodshot.

His clothes looked a bit dirty, but not as bad as the first time they met.

Hermione tried to speak but couldn't find her words.

"L-look... I just came by to see how you're doing, all right?" he shrugged.

This can't be just coincidence. It's like it's repeating itself but the situation gets... better? What am I supposed to say?! the bushy-haired librarian just continued staring.

"Ron," and when Hermione said those words and received an acknowledgement, she swore she could feel something happen to her chest.

"Yeah?" he huffed and another heavy breath of tobacco hit her face, which she had to subtly back away from.

Right... he has a smoking problem, I'm sure, Hermione recalled to the empty cigarette boxes she saw when she found him in the alley in his backpack.

She felt a little twang in her chest when she thought about how her words were meaningless to him on spending the money well.

Hermione hoped that the money wasn't for his addictions that just suffer a person's body system.

"Mummy, that man looks scary-" a little boy was shushed by his mother and lightly pulled to the side.

"So you've come to check on me, then what?" Hermione asked, crossing her arms, "You come back and all you say is, "hey"?"

"I... I dunno. I don't know what the bloody hell you want me to also do," Ron grunted.

"I see you spent the money well," Hermione said coldly, her hand moving to her face and making a gesture to block smell, "you're not lost, are you?"

Guilt grew back in her heart, already feeling heavy.

Why was she so harsh to him? What was she expecting? A struggling homeless man to come back perfect?

"Well, I'm sure you know well but I'm working right now. Nothing's going on and I'm fine," Hermione said.

"All right," Ron stood back, sounding like that's all he needed to hear from someone frustrating.

Though he probably did see her as that... Hermione would imagine.

"Anything else you need?" she questioned.

"W... well, I was wondering... um, am I able to... t-to s-" the ginger man was unable to get his words out, by halfway of his sentence he felt a drop in his stomach.

"Y... ya know what? P-probably wont happen," Ron sighed painfully and turned, "you've already shown it just now so... yeah."

He headed for the door which just made Hermione severely confused, "What? What are you talking about?"

"Figure it out yaself, considering you've already got the smarts," Ron slurred halfheartedly and stepped out the door.

The bushy-haired librarian stood frozen there for a moment, What was he talking about? I didn't even get to hear what he wanted...

He's probably- Hermione had to stop her own thoughts to give out a disappointing sigh, drunk too... and I didn't realize.

"Luna?" she asked.