When the Past Repeats Itself

Peter was stressed. He paced around his apartment, his heart beating loudly in his ears. Recalling everything he saw, from the picture to MJ's shocked face, he didn't know what to think except, Jesus, this is going to be hard to lie about.

Peter frantically pressed the spider on his suit and watched as it fell off him. He ran to his closet and pulled out his I survived my trip to NYC t-shirt, along with grey sweatpants. Tripping over his pants as he pulled them up, he tried to come up with lies to tell MJ. God, he hated lying to her. She always knew when he was lying too, so it'll be really hard to make up a story without her noticing his eyes drifting to every part of the room instead of looking into her eyes. She always noticed his fidgeting hands too, and the way he stuttered when he spoke. Giving him a raised brow and stern look, Peter knew it was over and the truth had to come out.

🕸️🕸️🕸️

It was hard to fall asleep. Peter's mind wouldn't stop running. All he could think about was how nervous he was. After hours of lying awake, fumbling with his blanket, and looking out the window, his eyes finally started to feel heavy. His fingers released their grasp on the blanket and slipped underneath his pillow where his head lay, his hair a wavy mess and his mouth agar.

🕸️🕸️🕸️

MJ woke with a start, her eyelids shooting upwards as police cars sped past her window. Her head was clear as she picked up a book off her shelf and gazed at the words printed on the pages. Shifting her body so that she was lying on her side, the sun shone on her, her hair turning golden as the rays moved around her head with the minutes that passed. Her mind forced her to forget the words of which her eyes followed with curiosity, to instead reminisce the events of last night.

MJ was just about to slam her book shut when she remembered what she was holding. She gently closed it, bookmarking the page. Stunned by what happened the night before and realizing she only had a few minutes till she had to leave for school, she threw on the first pieces of clothing she could find in her closet, shoved some food in her mouth from the plate her mom left behind for her, and ran out the door, almost forgetting the picture of her with Ned and...Peter.

🕸️🕸️🕸️

MJ wanted to wait for the right moment to confront Peter about the photo and her necklace, so she decided to tail him all day until she thought it was a good time. She searched the hallways for Peter when the bells drowned the sounds of noisy students and slamming lockers. As she sped towards her first class of the day, landing in her seat just before the second bell, she saw out of the corner of her eye, a boy sitting next to her with his head down and his arms around his head, wearing a blue sweater and black jeans. MJ looked at him for a while, trying to make out who he was. Attendance was taken and MJ finally got the answer to her wondering when the boy lifted his head to reveal Peter. MJ didn't feel her lips turn into a small smile when she saw his tired face and heard his voice. She couldn't believe she hadn't noticed him before.

🕸️🕸️🕸️

MJ learned a lot about Peter Parker as she followed him around the school. He was very quiet and seemed very tired, worried as well. She couldn't help but feel concerned when she watched him drift off during study hall in the library. He was sprawled on a sofa behind MJ's favourite shelf that was stocked with fantasy and romance novels. His eyes had dark circles surrounding him, his breath steady and quiet. MJ found herself getting lost in his appearance as he slept soundly. He looked adorable; she couldn't deny it. Heat crept up to her cheeks when she realized what she was thinking.

He woke up just moments before the lunch bell sounded, his face of confusion and surprise making MJ laugh.

🕸️🕸️🕸️