Sweet Dreams

The sun rose above the New York City horizon, turning the sky a light shade of violet. Clouds were sprinkled across the universe like pieces of candy floss, and stars began to vanish, the city beginning to buzz as hundreds of cars rolled in and out of the streets. And in a tiny apartment, on a single bed, MJ and Peter sat in each other's arms, staring out the window.

Peter shuffled under the covers as MJ watched the early morning sky change colour. He noticed how her eyes smiled, just like they used to, and how deep shades of brown swirled around her iris'. He also couldn't help but notice how her cheeks turned pink as he nuzzled his head farther into her neck.

MJ felt Peter's chin press into her shoulder and could see him looking up at her in the corner of her eye, making her blush harder than she already was. "MJ?"

"Mhmm."

"How did you remember...everything?"

"I don't know actually. I just remember that when you tried to become friends with us again, I started getting these painful flashbacks. You came over when the worst one happened...before you left. But after you disappeared, I didn't have them anymore except when I'd see you as Spiderman. Me remembering everything...it just kind of happened. My whole life with you flashed in my head when I was asleep and when I woke up...I remembered."

Peter nodded his head slowly. "Weird."

Both of them sat in silence, watching the clouds drift across the sky before MJ felt Peter's chin tilting up at her once again.

"Have you had a....a boyfriend in the past 6 months?"

MJ's laugh rang in Peter's ears. "What?" Peter asked, embarrassed, ripping his chin off of MJ with scarlet cheeks.

Her laugh continued to penetrate Peter's ears as he amused her with his red ears. The sounds died down as MJ covered her mouth with her hand and coughed. "Umm. Well..I umm..actually did."

Her face was serious, no signs of amusement still plastered on her expression. Peter's eyes widened. "Y-you did?"

He fumbled with his fingers.

"Wha-what was his name?"

"Ned."

Peter's eyes slightly widened. "Sorry who?" Peter questioned even though he had heard MJ perfectly the first time.

"Ned."

"As in, my best friend?"

Peter shook MJ's shoulder aggressively, her face as hard as stone. "Yes."

His jaw dropped. "Y-you and N-Ned. Ohmygodohmygod."

Peter panicked. His fingers pulled at his hair as he mumbled words to himself.

"Did he ask you? Or did you ask him? Never mind, don't answer that. For how long? Was he....a good boyfriend? No wait, don't answer that either."

In the background of Peter's breakdown, MJ suppressed a smile. And when Peter turned to look at MJ with his overly disheveled hair sticking out at all angles to say, "O-okay, that's-that's fine. That's...good," MJ let out a burst of laughter. She leaned her head on Peter's chest as she laughed, leaving him confused as he listened to her and stared as she pulled at his shirt for stability.

"I'm just messing with you, Parker."

Red painted Peter's face as MJ shoved his shoulder.

"I can't believe you fell for that." Peter smiled sheepishly before MJ touched her lips to his cheek. "No, Peter. I haven't had a boyfriend." She looked at his face as he sighed with relief, a pink splotch replacing the scarlet tint where her lips touched his skin.

"I was scared there for a second."

"Yeah, no kidding." MJ gently ruffled his hair, leaving it less stuck up but still a curly mess, just how she liked it.

Peter had dark circles around his eyes, and his hair was falling in waves down his forehead. A yawn escaped his lips and he snuggled his head back into MJ's neck, closing his eyes. MJ dropped her head on top of Peter's and pulled the blanket over him after closing the blinds.

"Won't your parents be worried that you're not home?"

"No. They go to work super early so we hardly see each other in the mornings."

"You sure it's okay?"

"I'm sure, Peter."

"Okay."

They both closed their eyes and searched for each other's hands, intertwining their fingers before drifting off to sleep.

Peter felt lighter like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He wasn't alone anymore. He didn't have to keep pretending that he was okay. She was here.

Holding on to Peter and feeling his head below hers, MJ smiled. He was okay. He wasn't alone. She brushed a coil of brown hair out of Peter's eyes and silently promised him that she'd never leave him again. He went through too much and didn't deserve any of it, and MJ wasn't going to let anything else happen to him. But if something did, she'd be there right beside him.

MJ curled her legs on top of the blanket and buried her cheek into Peter's hair, finally sleeping as herself after 7 months.

🕸️🕸️🕸️

Darkness filled the apartment, tiny corners in the walls being the only thing draped in light. All was quiet except for the bustling city outside and the slow breathing of the sleeping couple.

Suddenly, the walls shined gold as something slithered across the windows.

It glided around the window frame, concealing itself in the sunlight. But when its golden rays hit Peter's eyelashes, the mysterious strand stood still.

Peter's eyes fluttered open, obliviously searching around the room. The heels of his hand scraped against his face as he caught a glimpse of gold, but it rushed away from sight before his vision could focus. A yawn escaped Peter's lips before sleep took over him once more, his hand gripping a little tighter onto MJ's hand.

As the string sensed Peter lie his head back into MJ's shoulder, it began to move once again, swimming around the next window, down to the streets of New York...

Hiiiiii,

Just when you thought the story was coming to a close, a twist appeared.

What or who is this new golden string being drawn to? Who knows but I?

I hope you enjoyed this bit of adorableness and mystery!

I hope to write my next chapter soon but I'm not sure cause I honestly have zero ideas about how I'm going to approach the next chapter and I have a really busy week next week. But I will try my best!

Have an incredible weekend!!

- Natasha

P.S. I'm seeing Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness tomorrow with my sister, cousin, and friend and I'm so scared. I'm not the biggest fan of Wanda or Dr. Strange cause of Westview and Spiderman: NWH but I'm still super excited nonetheless. The trailer literally gave us no info about the storyline so I have no idea what's to come. I hope Marvel doesn't break my heart as much as it already has!