Fireflies

That night, deep in the Sanctum Sanctorum, a disturbance was heard.

Through the double doors that stood on 177A Bleecker Street. Through the shining floors and the jumble of ancient artifacts; Through the pitch-black entrance decorated with cracks and peeling paint, was a staircase.

The door creaks as it's pried open, and shuts with a bang. Once inside, you're blind. All you can see is a tiny light, flickering at the end of the staircase. Walking down the steps, a cold breeze washes your feet, sending shivers down your spine. Be careful, as the stone beneath you can shift. It seems like hours before you finally reach the end, your toes feel the cold stone seeping into your shoes. You can see now, the flickering light growing. And when you move towards the middle of the room you see it. Something no one remembered was there.

Five specks of gold littered the floor, stuck within minuscule fractures that sliced through the stone tiles. Each grain of light burnt the same; except for one. It beamed as bright as the sun, sending sparks deep below the stone. Light burst through the crack where the grain of light lay, creating the illusion that it was trying to escape. It faltered at times but glowed as bright as a thousand stars. And if you stayed there, watching the glow, you could make out a short golden string, spewing out of the tile. With time, the string began to loop throughout the basement, splay out on the crumble of stone, and float towards the ceiling.

The tangle of flickering string strengthened its flare once it sensed a beacon of light, hidden far into the city. Once closely knit together, the hive of fireflies untangled themselves and fluttered in a line, drifting closer to a small crack in the crumbly stone walls of the basement. The string stretched, its light continuing to flicker. Shoving itself into the rubble, the string flattened, twisted, and turned, yearning to escape the prison beneath the Sanctum Sanctorum. After minutes of torturous squeezing and pulling, the golden light began to fade. But just as the trail of fireflies grew limp, MJ's hand brushed the Dhalia that lay on her pillow, sending a brighter glow to the fingerprints laced upon her skin. The fireflies glistened, lighting up the stone, like stars sprinkled in the sky, sending a shock of light into Stephen Strange's dreams. And with one final push, the golden string glided through the ancient stone, spilling out into the sewers under New York.

🕸️🕸️🕸️

Splashes of water fell through the grates of the sewers. Moonlight flooded the pipes as a blur of gold flew past. The metal clanged as droplets of rain dropped onto its rusty surface, it's bronze shining in the golden light.

30 blocks. 29. 22. 18. 9. 4. 3, 2...1. The string spewed out of the pipes through the manhole and slithered upon the gravel streets of Queens. Sliding through cracks and down, under the subway, it concealed itself in the brick walls and damp streets. Seconds passed before the string stared up into a window, finally arriving at its destination.

🕸️🕸️🕸️

MJ rolled over, her hair tickling her nose as it fell from her head. Sinking deeper into a dreamless sleep, Peter submerged into her skin, shining brighter. Time passed on as rain pounded the walls of the apartment. Moonlight shone through the window, it's white light draping over MJ. Her chest was the only movement, rising and falling with every breath.

Something gently tapped the window outside, it's glow a mere blur in the rain. The mysterious blur floated outside as if it were waiting for something. But when that something never arrived, the blur slipped through the bottom of the glass and floated towards MJ. Free from the rain, the blur transformed into a golden string that extended through the walls of the apartment, trailing back to the Sanctum Sanctorum. And once it reached MJ's lips, it split, placing themselves upon her temples, blending into the fingerprints.

🕸️🕸️🕸️

Shades of blue swirled around in her mind. She felt as though she were suspended in space. Floating in the middle of nothingness; no stars, no planets; no one other than herself. Despite the cascading loneliness, she felt safe. Warm. Loved. There was nothing that could distract her sleep. Except.....

A tiny white light. A beacon in the darkness.

MJ squeezed her eyes as it grew brighter, and in curiosity, peeled them open slightly. Her eyes were entranced by the small star with its golden center. MJ lifted her fingers. As her hand drew closer, she sensed a pull in her chest. Just like the one a few hours ago; when she longed for...someone. I thought it went away?
She winced as her ribs felt a sharp pain but still drew her fingers closer to the light. MJ's eyes burned and closed when her skin bathed in the  warmth. The darkness was swallowed by light, and the rope returned, strangling her chest, forcing tears to well up in her eyes. And just as a sob escaped her mouth, MJ was dragged into the light.

🕸️🕸️🕸️

Her eyes shot open.

Expecting to see her room, she sighed. It was just a dream. It was just a-
Rubbing her eyes, she came to stare, not at her collage of drawings on the walls, but a cafeteria full of people. Midtown's cafeteria. Deja vu struck her head as she tried to make out what was happening. But just as those flashes she used to have 6 months ago, she had no control over her body. No tears were in her eyes and the strangling feeling had vanished. Something felt off. It was as if, she had gone back in time. As if, she were her younger self. Her hair was in a messy ponytail with a bouquet of strands framing her face. A book was clutched in her hands, and a stack of novels sat before her. But her eyes weren't paying attention to the book or the mug that laid in front of her. Her eyes were locked on a boy with brown hair, soft brown eyes, pale pink lips, his face in a smile and his hand tucked under his chin- 

oh god.

Why does it always have to be Peter Parker.

Hellooo everyone!!

Thank you so much for being patient with me. I'm so sorry for the delay. I've just had a super busy week at school. I was traveling on Friday so I didn't have much time to go over what I had so far. But here it finally is!!! I'm really proud of this chapter and am excited to keep writing!!

I hope you all are enjoying and will stick around for the next chapter!!

Natasha

P.S. something big is about it happen....😮