Chapter 8 - When Werewolves Fly

Lycius trampled the flowerbed as he crossed the garden in rapid big steps

Lycius trampled the flowerbed as he crossed the garden in rapid big steps. Mr and Mrs Mavros were still shouting inside the manor and even from such a distance he could hear his mother screaming, it was a high shrill against his father's dismissive tone. Lycius picked up his pace not caring about the roses' thorns tugging at his clothes or the pansies he had stomped on to get to the tree line.

When he got to the river, he found Rhea waiting there entranced by the shapes she was making as she ran a stick through her reflection. Those silver eyes brightened when they met his and her peachy pink lips pulled back into an excited smile.

'The sun's almost down,' she said. He thought he had hidden his feelings well until her smile dissipated. 'What's wrong?'

His father's teeth flashed in his mind again and he pushed all thoughts of his loud family aside and stomped across the water. He snatched her hand as he passed her and they walked through the forest, dry leaves crunching beneath them as they wandered under the dying light of dusk.

Rhea's hair was a wild mess of inky curls as they usually were. She wore blue jeans this time, under a purple puffer jacket. Her breaths came out in twirling steam against the cold wintry evening.

They had been friends for a couple of years now and had caught up secretly in the woods to watch Rhea practice her magic. Mrs Mavros didn't like Rhea's family, he didn't dare tell Rhea that though he was sure she already knew.

She squeezed his hand. It was cold in his grip. 'Tell me what happened.'

'The usual. They're just shouting at each other over nothing. It's like they're speaking different languages.'

'I'm sorry.'

'How's your sister?'

'She's fine. My aunt's meanness doesn't seem to be getting to her.'

'Is she still mean to you?'

Her jaw tensed. 'She doesn't say anything, it's her actions. She'll kind of pretend I'm not there. Last night, when Arianna and I are watching something on TV, she changed the channel without even asking. Like she didn't care we were in the room.'

'Stupid cow,' he said. He pulled his black coat around him and snickered at where the thorns had torn the fabric at his sleeves. His mother would kill him. Maybe his father would scold him too if he was told about it. He knew his father wouldn't notice it until his mother brought Lycius' mistakes to his attention.

'Lycius,' Rhea said. They stopped moving and he let go of her hand while turning his body to face hers. She looked up at him through her lashes and with an arm resting over her stomach holding her other arm. 'Can you promise me something?' she waited until he nodded, 'Will you promise that we'll stay friends? Even through high school.'

He was stunned by this question as he couldn't think why this would ever be doubted.

Rhea seemed to realise this and straightened her posture though still unable to make eye contact. 'It's just, I've noticed you've been distant... You've been hanging out with Giannis a lot at school, and I get it you wanna be with the boys sometimes. Just-,' her bottom lip trembled, 'don't forget about me.'