Chapter 14 - The Curse of the Dog-Dad

Welcome back my loves! My Darrrrlings!I hope you're ready to get back into the love spell that is Rhea and Lycius! We are finally, and I mean FINALLY at Mavros Manor! You have no idea how excited I am to be at this point because I have such delicious shenanigans planned. So enjoy this chapter! Apologies for any mistakes and don't forget to vote and leave a comment!

We had silently piled my supplies in the pale blue themed parlour where I had served those apparently God-awful cupcakes

We had silently piled my supplies in the pale blue themed parlour where I had served those apparently God-awful cupcakes. It had already been decided – by Calix no doubt – that there were other grander rooms they couldn't afford for me to spoil.

Therefore, I had covered the table in my own old tea towels that I used regularly to clean my workspace, but I had requested that every other bit of exquisite furniture needed to be covered in sheets or any other protective equipment because my work would get messy. No matter what. The end table near my easel was cluttered with my paints and brushes by eight o'clock that night.

That was before I was taken to bed upon arrival seven hours ago and instructed that my first order of business was to have a nap.

That's right, Lycius sent me to bed.

I had expected to be put away in that painfully yellow bedroom. The one that Ari and I had slept in last time. So, when Lycius led the way inside the manor through the hollow corridors, where every step bounced back into your ears like cannonballs, I was startled to discover a whole new level of his home. It only reminded me how much of a labyrinth this place was and that this was far too much space for one person. The manor was somehow grimmer on an overcast day that even I – the creature of the night – was slightly perturbed by the ominous atmosphere. Again, too grand, quiet, and lonely for someone as boisterous as Lycius used to be.

He led me to this new bedroom and he had my overnight bag hanging from his shoulder being the gentleman that he was, but he had been very quiet since we got back into the car from the forest. After all, I had, well, I know what I did, and I'd do it again.

Lycius stopped before a pair of solid oakwood antique doors with a woman's profile carved at the centre. He gripped the ornate brass knob and opened one of the doors to a room flooded in midnight blues and gold etchings. A cold chill drifted from the room and a gasp escaped me.

'Whose room is this?' I crept up beside him.

'Whose do you think?' His first words to me were snarky.

'I'm too afraid to say in case it disappears.' I said a little dazed. 'This is my room?'

'Is it too big?' he said, almost uneasily. I spied the antique canopy bed with a dark royal blue duvet and even darker blue silk sheets.

Thank you, Hecate.

'This is bigger than the student housing on campus.' I took my bag off his shoulder and glanced at the beautiful oakwood desk sitting before a fireplace. A blocked-up fireplace but it was still such a stylistic feature of this bedroom. This room was magic. Why was I ever in that Ikea sunflower bullshit room in the first place?