Chapter 6

The next day at school you were at your locker by yourself when Ali came over to you.
"Hey y/n." She greeted. You turned and saw who it was.
"Oh, hey Ali." You gave her a small smile.
"I was just wondering if you watched the soccer trials yesterday." She began, "Daniel got in a bit of a fight, and I just wanted to know if he was okay."
Great, she's getting interested in him, you thought to yourself. But you had to hide the fact you were irritated and just play along.

"Yeah, I spoke to him after school and he was fine." You replied, trying to be as vague as possible.
"That's good." She seemed relieved, "Do you know where he's from? I'd never seen him around school before."
"No, he moved here from Newark three days ago." You answered, still trying to keep it short.
"Oh okay. Well thanks for letting me know he's alright. You're a great friend." She smiled, before walking off. You stood and watched her before she disappeared around the corner. Falling back against your locker, you rolled your eyes. There was nothing else you could've said if you weren't going to lie. Just as you and Daniel were really starting to get along, Ali was probably going to go and throw a spanner in the works. That was what happened last time with Johnny anyway.

Sure enough, you weren't that surprised to see Daniel and Ali talking in the lunch queue. 
"I can see you looking at them." Lou smirked as you queued a couple of people behind them.
"Only because I'm kinda pissed off." You whispered, "I mean Daniel and I were really starting to get along last night. I'm really like him, Lou. But then today she came over to me at the lockers asking questions about him."
"Someone's interested in him." Lou scoffed.
"That's exactly what I thought." You sighed, looking over at Ali and Daniel smiling. You turned your head away and looked at your plate gloomily. 

"I know you two are friends," Lou began, "And this is not me being biased because I don't like her that much, but if she finds out you live in the same apartments as Daniel then she's going to use you even more than she did today."
"She called me a great friend." You groaned, "Obviously trying to keep me sweet."
"Yeah because now she can look all interested in him." Lou scoffed looking over at Daniel and Ali.

"How did you know I was from Newark?" You heard Daniel say.
"I asked." Ali shrugged.
"'I asked'." Lou whispered, mocking Ali's voice and making you laugh, "If she starts to go out with him she's gonna have a bigger black eye than Daniel's, I can guarantee it."
"What would I do without you, Lou?" You smiled at your best friend. She smiled back and put her dinner tray on the counter to give you a hug. You did the same and hugged her back.