Chapter 20

It was getting into the afternoon now. Johnny had fought well throughout the tournament and was about to defend his title. Your heart was beginning to pound. Especially when the fight started. He was pretty good at his karate. There was some great technique there.

"Wow, he's really good." Maddy whispered to you from the seat behind. Holly had also arrived. Her, Lou and Maddy were sitting behind you and Mrs LaRusso.
"Yes, but he's not a really nice person." You replied, "He's been a complete jerk towards Daniel for months now."
"So we're not on his side then?" Maddy asked.
"No, we're not." You continued, "Especially if he wins this fight and Daniel wins his; then they'll be competing against each other."
"That won't end well." Lou added from behind.
"You were telling me to be hopeful a couple hours ago." You sighed, knowing that Lou is always right about everything. 

The fight went on. When the referee announced Lawrence was the winner your heart sank. But your mind soon switched focuses because it was time for Daniel to compete against Tommy. The two stepped into the ring and you could almost feel your heart in your mouth. The two prepared to fight. Mrs LaRusso could see your hands shaking. She took you by the hand and linked your arm under hers. You smiled and rested the other hand on her arm.

The referee started the match. Everything then happened so quickly. Tommy leaped and kicked Daniel in his leg. He cried out in pain and fell to the ground. You and Mrs LaRusso ran forward together, as Mr Miyagi ran on the mat and knelt down by Daniel's side. You were shaking and on the verge of tears. He looked like he was in so much pain.

"Is he alright? Please tell me he's alright." Your voice quivered.
"I don't know, but it's gonna be fine." Mrs LaRusso wrapped her arms around you as you tried to run to him.
"He has to be alright!" You cried, breaking free for a second before Mrs LaRusso tightened her grip. She let go as Daniel was carried off by two men. You followed them.

*

You later stood around Daniel who was on a stretcher with Mrs LaRusso and Mr Miyagi. The medic checked out Daniel's leg. By the look on his face, it wasn't looking good.
"I'll inform the judges." The medic sighed, "You did well out there, young man." And he walked out followed by the men who carried Daniel in. You made your way over to Daniel's side with Mrs LaRusso. 

"Oh, dammit!" Daniel slammed his hand down onto the stretcher in anger. 
"Oh honey," Mrs LaRusso began warmly, "Forget it. Hey, you were great! I couldn't be prouder. It was just bad luck."
"Daniel, you would've won if they hadn't cheated." You added.
"Just leave me alone for a minute, okay." He sighed.
"We'll be outside." Mrs LaRusso leaned down and kissed his forehead, before making her way out of there. You followed.
"See you in a minute." You said glumly.

When you got outside you sighed and put your head in your hands.
"Oh God, what have I done?" A few tears fell from your eyes.
"Hey, now don't start blaming yourself for any of this." Mrs LaRusso put her arm around you.
"But Mrs LaRusso," You looked up at her as the two of you walked along slowly, "If I hadn't have invited him to that beach party then none of this trouble with Johnny would've happened."
"Ah, so that's why he had a black eye." Mrs LaRusso realised, "I had a feeling it wasn't a bike accident. But you listen to me," You both stopped and faced each other, "That was none of your fault. Daniel's easily aggravated. He's stubborn at times, and won't give up without a fight - whether that's metaphorically or physically."
You laughed through your tears, "That's true. I'm sorry, I'm just being stupid aren't I? I just hated seeing him crying in pain out there. I don't want him to feel like a failure because we're all so proud of where he got to." 

Mrs LaRusso now had a tear in her eye. She pulled you into a warm hug.
"Oh y/n, I hope he knows how lucky he is to have you." She sniffled. You smiled.
"That's so kind of you to say. Thank you." You replied.