chapter 31

“Rain, I think you should stay with me tonight.” Lia advised as soon as Matt parked on the side of the road, outside the front of her house. Thankfully, Matt was on the phone with his father, so I doubted he heard what Lia just said.

Biting my lower lip, I thought about the possible repercussions and consequences I would get myself into if I were to continue along with Matt to his house. I knew I would get in a lot of trouble from not only Joe but with my very own father. Heck, even I knew that I wasn’t going to be very happy if I continue with Matt tonight. I’ll just feel awful and guilty if I did. I seriously haven’t thought this through. “Yeah, maybe you’re right.” Unbuckling my seatbelt, I turned around in my seat so I could face her. “Give me a few minutes with Matt though.”

Unbuckling her seatbelt, she gave me a knowing look, a small smile planted on her face. “Don’t take too long.” She winked, showing me that she didn’t care how long I took, a playful banter which really wasn’t needed at this point in time. Nonetheless, I smiled weakly, showing her that I wasn’t offended or upset.

Watching until she made her way inside, I turned around, facing Matt who was staring at his phone angrily. “What’s wrong?” I asked, placing my hands within his, giving it a light squeeze, showing him that I was here to listen.

“My dad’s going to be home in about an hour. God, I don’t want him asking questions about these.” He pointed to the few bruises evident on his face and jaw line, while I bit my lip. I felt as though those hits were my fault. If I hadn’t started any of this with Matt, he wouldn’t be in this mess. He and Joe would be okay. Everything would have been fine. Damn it, but I am the biggest idiot on this planet.

“I’m so sorry Matt. This is all my fault...” I trailed softly, looking at our linked hands, wondering if Joe would ever accept seeing us like this.

“Hey...” I heard his deep sigh, followed by the sound of him unbuckling his own seatbelt, “...stop saying sorry. It’s not your fault.”

Looking away from our linked hands, I was surprised by the closeness of Matt’s upper body. “But if it weren’t for me, we wouldn’t be in this mess, so it is my fault.” I clarified, willing the tears that were threatening to escape to stay put. Now was not the time to cry.

“Na, it’s my fault. I probably should have spoken to Joe when I was beginning to find you interesting.” He spoke half teasingly, half seriously.

“Well what do you think of me now?” I asked a little hesitantly, wondering if he only thought of me as just interesting.

“Hmm...” He pretended to think about it, all the while leaning closer so that our lips were just about to touch. My heart, at this point, was pumping wildly in my chest. I could feel my face heat up at all the indecent thoughts running through my mind. My palm, which was inside of Matt’s palm felt like it was on fire. God, what is this guy doing to me? “...I think you’re an amazing person and if I have to put up with a few more bruises in order to stick with you...” I watched as he shrugged his shoulders, indicating that he could care less about hits and punches “...then so be it.”

“That’s not right...” I whispered, though I was losing all sense of rationality as his lips barely touched mine.

“I’m going to kiss you okay?” He asked huskily, not waiting for me to respond. Instead, he wrapped his free hand along my waist, pulling me against him, crashing his lips against mine. I moaned against his lips, not expecting the touch of his lips and body against mine to cause such a crazy reaction.

Knowing that I was incapable of doing anything other than respond to his kiss, Matt untangled our hands, and without breaking the kiss, managed to position me on top of him, running his hands up and down my back.