30 Imposters

Energy slams into me from every direction, leaving me feeling like a feather in a hurricane. Fear, panic, anger, and rage radiate off of the defenders and civilians.

"You've got this Mi," Sasha says, hugging Mira tightly before letting go. "Be the bad bitch I know you are!"

"Be careful," Mira whispers, fear lacing her voice.

"Please," Willow begs, grabbing Sasha's hand. "Don't let anything happen to him." Her voice is small as she pleads for her mate's protection but Sasha just smiles and nods.

"They won't know what hit them," Sasha replies with a dark glint in her eyes. She slips through the dining room doors and into the chaos leaving us to our devices.

"Jess!" Ethan calls, running through the door and throwing his arms around me.

"Hey now," I coo, holding him tightly.

"What do we do?!" he asks, his emotions as volatile and conflicted as everyone else's.

I take his face in my hands and hold his gaze with mine. "Deep breath in and slow breath out." He follows my lead, taking a moment to breathe, and manages to calm down some. "That's it bud," I encourage.

"Tell me what to do Jess, I need to do something," he practically whimpers.

The uneasy feeling only keeps growing, making me think there's something yet to come. All I can think about is making sure he's safe.

"I have something very important for you to do," I whisper, forcing my voice to be even.

"Anything," he swears, golden gaze locked on mine.

"I need you to gather the pups and keep them safe," I start. Ethan pulls back and looks like I've sucker-punched him. "Listen to me! You and the others are the future, you're everything we fight for. Kid, I need to know you're safe." My eyes water as I think about him running again.

"Okay," he whispers. "I know just the place..."

I kiss him on the forehead and hug him once more before letting him go. "Claire, you and Xander too, quickly!"

She stands stunned for a moment, clutching her baby to her chest but Lexi appears from nowhere, grabs her hand, and starts to drag her to the door.

"We won't fail Luna," she promises. Ethan's other two friends Link and Jax show up, surrounding Claire and escorting her away.

'Don't come out no matter what, not for anyone but Still Waters or Guardians,' I clarify.

'Only for you m-' He stops suddenly and pauses for a moment. 'I'll wait for you.'

My eyes water once more, leaving me cursing hormones for the tenth time today. I feel every death as a light blinking out, even with my walls and distance. This isn't the first time I've been around death, yet it's never felt like this before.

With both Kane and Chris' forces now gone, the chaos subsides slightly. I risk heading out into the commotion to see what's going on. The grand hall is full of people milling about, making the towering room feel smaller than it is.

Sara and Jude stand talking with Ryker while the remaining handful of warriors are on guard around the perimeter. Civilians are massing, murmuring and milling about as they watch events unfold.

I flinch with every bang and explosion. Whatever is going on up on the ridge has sent numerous fireballs into the sky, and now explosions and gunshots sound below, making my heart race.

"Are you okay?" Chloe asks as I lean against a wall, trying to get my bearings.

"I'm fine," I grate out, burying my emotions once more.