20 Broken Barriers

"Ready to run?" I ask with Ember flashing in my eyes.

"Willow!" Kane yells, face scarlet as he turns on the crowd.

I look over Sage and see my cousin stripping in front of everyone and a moment later she shifts, shaking out her white fur. She bounds over with the enthusiasm of a puppy, completely ignoring Sage's warning growl.

The moment Snow brushes up against her, Sage goes quiet, stiff, and unsure of how to respond. Her reaction does nothing to stifle Snow's excitement.

"Where is she!" Sasha yells, shoving her way through the crowd. I feel Sage tremble under my hand as she practically cowers from the voice.

Sasha gasps both hands over her mouth as she takes her sister in. Her warm chocolate eyes flash amber and water as she runs and crumples against Sage, burying her face in the thick fur of her neck.

Her muffled sobs are joined by Sage's whimpers as the two sisters embrace, possibly for the first time. After a moment, Sasha pulls back and wipes her tears, smiling from ear to ear.

"I always knew you were in there somewhere," she blurts out, with a teary laugh. "I've waited for twenty-three years to run with my sister."

I feel Ember growing restless in the back of my mind, itching to feel the wind in her fur. Catching Jude's eye, he moves to the back door and throws it wide open.

"You ready?" I ask again, nodding to the open door. Sage shifts uneasily, eyeing me than her freedom.

Her sister shifts next, shakes out her grey and charcoal fur, and rubs along her sister, nipping and urging her on. I take the moment of distraction and step off to the side, out of sight and quickly shift before letting Ember take the lead.

Willow and Sasha step back and Sage watches me as I approach. At the last moment, she bares her neck in respect. Ember bows and rubs against her, pushing her towards the door.

Not wanting to push her luck, Ember leads the way, leaving the grunt work to the younger, non-pregnant wolves. She pads through the open door and scans the area, standing tall at the sight in front of her.

Nex and Sara are easy to pick out in the lead, standing eager, eyes fixed on the door. By the look of the pack gathered behind them, all of Still Waters is outside and then some.

Sage freezes in the doorway. The shock rolling off of her is paralyzing. I figured when Willow showed up others would too, but I didn't think there was anywhere near enough time for everyone to make it.

I pad down the steps towards the pack and look back. Sage takes a tentative step towards the stairs and stops, letting out a low whimper.

'It's your place to take, but only if you want it,' I say, leaving the ball in her court.

She mulls her choice over for a moment and shakes out her fur before padding down the stairs and over to me. I rub up against her, encouraging her and trying to put her at ease.

A mousy grey is first to step up and greet her new pack member, rubbing against her. Her calm reassuring presence is the perfect warm-up to the flurry that will no doubt follow.

Claire would be first.

Before Claire even has a chance to finish, Sara is there with Nex on her heels. One by one, the whole pack presses in on them, vying for their chance to greet their beta female.

Sage stands frozen but eventually returns their gestures as frenzied yips call to her. Suddenly, the pack stills and slowly parts as two large wolves make their way towards us. The biggest is black as night with a silver undercoat and golden brown eyes and the other slightly smaller and sandy gold.