37 Breathe

Sweet jezus! What was I thinking?!?!

Claire, Mack, Sara, and Trish have taken care of all of the details for my wedding. They have planned everything down to the smallest detail, leaving me to focus on my twins Sammy and Emmy for the last two months.

Chloe and Claire have been a godsend, helping to fill the void that my mother would have in showing me tips and tricks and overall stepping in when I need help. Even Chris has given it his all, happily changing diapers and running interference while I feed one or the other because they always want the same thing at the same time.

Today, I just have to show up, yet my nerves are on overdrive.

'You can face dark witches and war, yet formal ceremonies still freak you out,' Ember chides, snickering at my frazzled state.

My wedding... I'm getting married... Me... Sweet jezus.

My heart starts to race as I wipe my sweaty palms on my pants for the hundredth time.

"Breathe," Claire says, taking my hand calmly as she sits next to me. "Jess, it is okay. Everything will be fine." Her warm smile takes the edge off of my nerves but they refuse to relent.

"I can't do this," I mumble, looking at her worriedly. "I'm gonna trip or something. Make a fool of myself," I trail off, dropping my gaze to the ground.

"Do you love him?" My eyes fly wide at her question. Chloe barely stifles her laugh at my reaction.

"Of course I love him!"

"Then there's no problem, forget everything else, it's all about you two," Claire says warmly.

"I have no idea what's-"

"Jess, breathe," Sara says walking in with Mack and Willow. "We did you proud, even I know that." Her crooked grin takes me out of my freak out and leaves me wondering how scary things could get. Suddenly, my mind conjures all sorts of images of mile-high heels, mermaid-style wedding dresses, and more pomp than I can handle, breathing new fire to my relenting nerves.

"Ugh, what bride doesn't even plan her own wedding," I groan, dropping my head in my hands.

"A queen has people for that," Sara replies with a wink. "I mean it's not like you had a lot on your plate or anything."

"But Sara, the rebuilding, settling the dissidents, the babies-"

"Willow..." Mack cuts in, giggling. Everyone burst out laughing except for me.

"Sarcasm Willow, sarcasm," Sara chides, rolling her eyes. "She's got this and we are here to help, not add stress to it."

"That might be the nicest thing you've ever said to me head warrior," I say, side-eyeing her.

"What can I say, you're my favourite mushroom," she teases back as everyone just looks at us like we are crazy.

"You ready to do this?" Claire asks.

I take a deep breath and nod. Chris is one of the few things I am certain about in my life and I plan to spend the rest of my days at his side.

The flurry of preparation begins. A manicure and pedicure are followed by a facial. Next step is getting my hair done. Claire opts for a complex pattern of braids weaved through the top, leaving most of my hair falling in long, loose curls down my back.

Makeup is the last step before getting dressed. For the amount of time they spend flitting about, the makeup turns out to be light and makes my skin look flawless.

My reflection has me captivated. A soft, healthy blush is on my cheeks and my skin glows, soft and bright. The way my eyes are accentuated makes them burn gold, whereas my lips are soft and plump with a beautiful shade of red.