Entite Chapter 16

Chapter:16

"Enter." It had been Fenton's voice that spoke. They stepped inside and shut the door. Fenton sat on the couch, his head resting on the back. Her grandfather sat at his desk, his hands typing away at his keyboard, ignoring them completely.

"Uncle?" James asked, walking forward to sit on the couch beside him.

"It's fine James, I'm merely exhausted." She stood in the doorway, waiting for her grandfather to acknowledge her. He lifted his head to speak and that's when he noticed she was still beside the door. He sighed and stood from his desk but didn't approach her.

"I am fully in control of myself Mira, you needn't be afraid, but if you wish, I shall leave. Fenton can fill you in as easily as I can." As she watched, he wiped at his eyes. "I will never be able to express how sorry I am for what happened."

"You're in control?" She asked and he nodded. "Fully, you're sure?"

"I am, but..." He cut off when she ran across the room and wrapped her arms around him.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that." She said burying her head next to his unbeating heart. He froze, without breathing or a heartbeat he was literally as still as a statue, then he wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

"I am so sorry Mira." She pulled away from him and shook her head.

"Your brain was literally scrambled, you were not yourself, and you are not to blame for this understand?" She placed her hands on her hips. He laughed and shook his head pulling her into another hug before pulling back and stepping to his desk.

Fenton stood from the couch and went to join him. James patted the seat he'd just vacated. He gave her a small smile when she joined him and kissed her on the cheek before placing a hand on the small of his back and turning to face their elders.

"Before we left for the club last night Seamus informed us of what you two discovered." Her grandfather said, clasping his hands on the desk in front of him. Fenton sat on its edge.

"After going over the police database ourselves at the club, we concur that this is likely where he's held up. And that he indeed is keeping those he abducts like cattle to feed on at his leisure." Fenton said, turning to her grandfather.

"The numbers of missing persons aren't high enough for him to be simply abducting them for the immediate kill. However they are higher than numbers we've seen in similar cases to this in the past fifty years. I'm thinking this is indicative of his lack of restraint."

Her grandfather closed his eyes. "These people aren't dying quick deaths, they are suffering, likely starving, and being drained slowly. We must act. We've been working on trying to locate him within the city." Her grandfather motioned them over to his desk. They stood without question, he turned the computer screen to where they could see it.

"Chances are good since bodies aren't turning up that he isn't hiding somewhere within the city itself. He could be doing the kills from a city base and then dumping them out in the swamps, but it doesn't seem to follow what we know about him so far." Fenton said and she nodded. The way he behaved she could just hear him in her mind saying, 'That wouldn't be any fun.'

"He also wouldn't have a home in his name. That would require interaction with other vampires to obtain the proper forged documents which also doesn't seem to fit his personality. So we've been focusing on abandoned properties outside the city limits, we've managed to narrow it down to four." Her grandfather said, pulling up a list of addresses.

"It would have to be a sizable property to house himself, whatever Entite he may have, and those he is feeding on, so we excluded small homes, hunting cabins, and the like.