Entite Chapter 24

Chapter:24

His brain was slow to process what she was saying. He just nodded as he listened, though honestly he didn't get half of what she'd said but he got enough, it was time to go, to New Orleans. He sat up and pulled her into him, placing a quick kiss on her lips, her hair was still wet from her shower. She seemed completely back to normal from the hell she'd been through in the past few days. That was all he needed to know.

"Let me splash some water on my face, and I'll be ready." He said and made his way to the small bathroom. When he turned on the lights he saw roaches scatter around the room. He sighed, she deserved much better than this. Of course if he had his way she'd be far away from this life of killing, cheap motels, and ever-present danger. But the woman he loved was a warrior like himself, and would never dream of stepping down.

Neither of them would be alive if not for the vampires that saved them. It was their duty, but it was his duty to keep her safe and he had to start doing a damned better job. When he stepped out she was right where he left her setting on the bed. He sat back down beside her.

"You okay?" She nodded absently but just sat there for a moment staring down at the bed. Finally she turned to him, but she didn't raise her face to look at him. "What?" He asked, placing his finger under her chin and raising her face so he could look into her eyes. She surprised him when she leaned in to kiss him. He didn't protest, but when he lifted his hands to cup her face she broke their kiss and grabbed ahold of his right hand. He looked down to see her winding a new bandana around the scar.

"You played it off like it wasn't bothering you but I know you. I know how much that bandana meant to you." When she was done she cupped his face. "You kept that bandana because it was a piece of me you could keep with you always, but you have me now. I love you James, and nothing and no one is going to change that." He sat frozen for a fraction of a second as her words sank into his sleep fogged mind, then he reached forward and pulled her into him placing his lips on hers.

He wasn't gentle, and neither was her response as she wrapped her arms around him. It was the sound of a truck horn coming in through the still open window that stopped him. It had the same effect as a bucket of ice water being dumped right on his head.

He remembered where they were, and what they were supposed to be doing. His hands had already worked their way under her shirt, and her own were tangled into his hair. It seemed to have the same effect on her. They sat frozen a minute before he pulled his hands out from under her shirt and cupped her face again.

He closed his eyes. "I want to kill him, I want to cut his head off on the spot for everything he's done, but I can't. We need him alive to prove that Leonisis is a lying bastard, otherwise I can never give you the real life that you deserve."

"We deserve that life together." She said standing and pulling him to his feet. "I want to stay here, in this filth hole in your arms all night, well not necessarily in your arms." She said placing her hand on his chest, she let it trail lazily down to rest at the waist of his jeans. She shook her head and took a step back when he reached for her. The woman was a tease.

"Let's take care of business now, and when that's done." She leaned up on her tiptoes but still had to pull his head down to place her lips on his, then she put them to his ear. "Our neighbors won't need vampire hearing to hear us." She said nibbling down on his earlobe. He groaned and reached for her again but she ducked out of his way. "Come along James, we need to get everything we might need out of the car before we leave, I don't want to feed something important to the gators."

He sighed and followed her to the door but stopped. "Wait a minute." He said, turning back to his bags. He prayed that what he was looking for hadn't gotten lost or damaged in the wreck. He sighed with relief when his hands closed around the small leather pouch. He walked back over to the bed and patted it beside him.