Entite Chapter 21

Chapter:21

Mira watched James as he stood in the doorway for a few minutes. His posture was rigid. After a while, he shut the door and turned slowly toward her. He walked slowly back toward the bed, almost as if he were afraid of her. She tried to make sense of everything that was happening in her mind.

The side of her head was still pounding, and from what little she'd gathered, there'd been a wreck. She was having trouble remembering anything past getting shot on the way out of the manner. She had a vague memory of freezing cold tits and then everything else was a blank. James sat on the foot of the bed, he didn't touch her, just stared at her.

So someone was trying to kill them, it wasn't Gaston or his men. Ghosts were real, Eddie was one, and he had apparently been watching over her, or, just watching her, since his death.

"I need a drink." She said, placing her head in her hands. James stood and she vaguely heard the sound of running water, he was back a moment later with the Styrofoam cup. "Not exactly the kind of drink I was thinking of." She said but accepted the water anyway. She was thirsty, painfully so. James leaned down and picked something up off the floor. He held up a bottle and shook it a little.

"Fresh out I'm afraid." He said and sighed, tossing it into the trashcan by the bed. She wasn't surprised that he'd been drinking, hell she honestly wasn't even mad considering she was thinking pretty much the same thing right now.

She was worried though, he wouldn't really make eye contact, and he was staying a few feet away from her. Right now, the thing she wanted most was for him to wrap her in his arms. She knew why he was keeping his distance, it wasn't hard to figure out, Eddie. She didn't realize she was crying till he reached out and finally placed a hand on her cheek.

"What the hell is going on James?" She sobbed out. He stood and lifted her into his arms before taking her place at the headboard and sitting her down in his lap again. He pulled her into his arms and held her tightly. Tighter than she thought he meant to but honestly at this moment she didn't mind. He was shaking, she pulled away enough to look up into his face. He had his head turned away from her.

She placed her hands on either side of his face and turned it towards her. She'd seen him shed tears only twice, when he'd told her about Julia's death, and when he was telling her about the woman's funeral. She didn't know what to say, the broken look in his eyes made her temperately forget about everything else. She leaned in and placed a kiss on his salty cheek before placing her lips against his ear.

"Everything's gonna be okay, we'll figure this out." He nodded and pulled her back so he could look her in the eyes.

"How's your head?"

"Hurts, fuzzy, what happened?" She asked, taking his hand, he sighed and leaned back, closing his eyes.

"What's the last thing you remember?" She wracked her brain.

"Someone was shooting at us, I got hit. We were speeding out of there, I have this vague memory of being cold, that's it." He sighed and lifted his head.

"You blacked out, from a combination of pain and blood loss. We stopped so you, Seamus, and Jacob could change your clothes." Before she could get the question out he spoke. "He wasn't hit, you bled on him." She nodded and he continued.

"We got back on the road and a little over twenty-four hours ago a car appeared on the road behind Jacob and uncle. It slammed into them and hit the back end causing them to spin out of control. Then it came after us. I slammed on the breaks before it could pit us and spun around heading back the way we came."