13. The Manager Meeting

Kendall was walking out of his car and into the building where his meeting was about to be held. Dustin texted him at that moment, "Where are you man?"

Kendall quickly replies, "I'm here. Calm down."

He heads to the door to find Dustin with a great producer, known as L.A. Reid. Kendall remembered him from watching The X Factor USA several years back. That is also the show and season of when his friends from Fifth Harmony were first discovered. Kendall was then feeling ready and inspired to begin writing music.

"Kendall, buddy, where were you?" Dustin goes up to hug his buddy and quickly whispers, "You're late."

"I know and I'm sorry. I'll make it up, okay?"

"You better." They both turn over to Mr. Reid and thank him for the opportunity.

"Mr. L.A. Reid, it's a pleasure to meet you," Kendall gives him a handshake as he takes a seat across from him.

"Yes, Mr. Schmidt is it?" Kendall nods, "And Mr. Belt," Dustin nods, "I am happy to tell you guys that I have taken note of your music and how much you have impacted the music industry even with your own production company."

"Yes, well Kendall is the genius behind that idea," Dustin bumps his elbow towards Kendall, "It was his idea to start the record label TOLBooth Records."

"Aw, buddy. Dustin, you were the one who thought of building the recording studio from scratch, with our own bear hands. Can't give me all the credit." Kendall pats Dustin on his back and comforts him.

"I like the brotherhood that you guys have here. It's really nice." L.A. Reid kept on trying to find out how to tell them the good news. "Now, getting back to what I originally came for... Since you guys are really talented I was wondering if you wouldn't mind writing some new songs for this band that I'm recruiting."

"We'd be delighted to write some hit songs for you, Mr. Reid," Dustin replies.

"Thanks, I appreciate the help. But besides that, I was also interested in purchasing your records label, say for $200,000?"

Kendall's face showed shock in that instant. Him and his buddies, including his bros from BTR, worked so hard to build the company. And only for that amount of money? Come on, Kendall thought to himself. "Could you give us just a quick minute, Mr. Reid?"

"Sure, I'll let you talk amongst yourselves. I actually have to take a quick phone call. Excuse me." He steps outside, leaving Heffron Drive alone in the room.

"Kendall, we cannot sale it. It took every piece of me to actually put it together. Remember how I got tons of blisters?" Dustin freaks out to his bud.

"Yeah, I agree. Plus our company is not worth 200 grand. At least I don't think it is," Kendall stands up and begins to walk around the room. Pacing back and forth.

"So, what's the plan?" Dustin asks. Even he was worried of letting down an important man like L.A. Reid. Plus, if they rejected the offer it might also ruin their chances of getting to write for the new band. Which, now that Kendall thought about, Mr. Reid never told them the band's name.

"Let's simply be honest and say no. That we're not interested in selling the company but that we would love to help out his new band," Kendall points out, literally.

Dustin then adds, "Plus, I told you that he told me that he would love to have us make another record."

"Exactly!" Kendall lights up, "Maybe that's why he wants to purchase it. So that he can have control over us and what we produce in music."

"And you know we can't let that happen," Dustin drinks some of his water, before his throat gets super dry.

In that moment, Mr. Reid comes back inside, "So,Kendall and Dustin, do we have a deal?" he asks, putting his cellphone back into his pocket.

Kendall faces him and replies confidently, "Mr. Reid, we agree on only one part." It gets a bit quiet. "We will be glad to write music for your new band. As for our records label, I'm sorry to say that it is not for sale."

Mr. Reid looked a tiny bit upset, "Well, I'll take the offer then. As for the company, I'm sorry for not offering more, I'm kind of on a tight budget right now."

That surprised both of them, especially Dustin. "You mean, you need some help financially?" he asks Mr. Reid.

"Oh no, no Dustin. It's just a lot of transactions that I need to keep in mind. It's cuz Mariah Carey just called and told me that she wants out of her contract. That lady with an angelic voice says she wants out of the label."

"Here, Mr. Reid, take a seat. I'll get you a quick glass of water." Kendall politely tells him. Dustin tries to comfort him, without being all touchy like others are.

Kendall gets the jar of water and pours the glass. 'Man, now I feel bad for him. But I'm still going to stick with my answer. Both Dustin and I agreed upon it.' He puts the jar back in the fridge and heads towards the meeting room.

"Thank you Kendall," he quickly drinks the glass and places it on the table. "I will be okay." He shakes his head a few times and then gathers his papers before departing. "So, I will call you guys up in the next couple of weeks for the meet up. The band is really talented and needs all the hits that they can get."

"For sure Mr. Reid. We'll be waiting for your call," Kendall shakes hands with him.

"Meanwhile, Kendall and I will brainstorm ideas for song lyrics. That way, we'll have a better chance of finding the hits," Dustin says, while shaking his hand.

"Thank you guys, I appreciate it. I'll talk to you soon," he exits the room and softly closes the door.

"Man, that must suck. Losing one of the most talented singers in the entire industry all of a sudden." Dustin keeps on freaking out, even though Mr. Reid had already calmed down.

"Dustin, relax. Hopefully Mariah was having a bad day or something," Kendall pats his buddy. "Besides, at least we got to help him feel a bit better."

"True, want to go celebrate?" Dustin asks.

"I'd love to, but I've got dinner plans with Jess," Kendall picks up his cell phone and keys.

"Cool, hope you two have fun," Dustin grabs his keys out of his pocket as well.

"Thanks, and I'll introduce you to her soon. She's a really awesome teacher, and an even better person."

"You know what bud, I think you're in love," Dustin tells him. That's when Kendall begins to think, he's probably right. Dustin passes by and heads out of the room, leaving Kendall alone, staring out in the distance.

After a few five minutes, thinking about Jess, he pulled himself back to reality and headed out to his car. The radio then started to play I Believe in a Thing Called Love by The Darkness, a rock band.

Can't explain all the feelings that you're making me feel
My heart's in overdrive and you're behind the steering wheel

Touching you, touching me
touching you, god you're touching me

I believe in a thing called love
Just listen to the rhythm of my heart
There's a chance we could make it now
We'll be rocking 'til the sun goes down
I believe in a thing called love
Ooh!

I wanna kiss you every minute, every hour, every day
You got me in a spin but everythin' is A.OK!

Touching you, touching me
touching you, god you're touching me...

Kendall sang along to the song as he drove back to their place. "He's right, I am in love..."
__________________________________________________________________

A/N: There you go readers. Hope it makes up for the long time that I haven't updated. I've been lazy lately and have been doubting on writing this other story. But don't worry, I won't forget about this story, or the Logan and Darlyn fanfic Make Me Believe. Enjoy this chapter :D