23. Reflecting

Kendall's POV:

I wake up the next morning... With just one person on my mind. Jess.

I feel terrible for leaving her there, alone, with her tears that I could just feel coming.

But she did the one thing that I was afraid would happen... She kissed Logan. My so called best friend. He always tends to have a crush on whatever girl I'm dating. And usually if we end it, Logan tries to woo her over and be the hero to the girl.

I don't want that to happen with Jess... Jess is special. She's the one woman who I've felt an instant attraction and connection to, without even knowing her name. Just seeing her, with her white dress and red stilettos... She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She still is the most beautiful. And if it's true that she is having my baby, then I really should be thankful... Cuz that takes me one step closer.

I look to my side and see the little black box that I have. I really felt like everything would go into place, once our friends met each other and then I'd ask her the question.

I open the box and look at the precious jewel. It used to belong to my grandma... I think back to when my grandma gave it to me before she passed away, telling me, "Kendall, take this ring. The moment you want to ask a girl to marry you, show her this beautiful ring and I promise you that she will say yes. Not because of the ring, but because of the polite, handsome, talented, gentlemen that you have grown up to be." She hugged me and then gave me one last kiss before I had to leave. I thanked her and promised I'd give it to a special girl. She died later that week and since then I've kept this ring so close to me. It's the last memory I have of my grandma.

I then put away the ring and head on over to take a shower. I sing along to some music on my playlist, when all of a sudden John Legend's song You and I (Nobody In The World) begins to play...

"Out of all of the girls
You're my one and only girl
Ain't nobody in the world tonight

All of the stars, you make them shine like they were ours
Ain't nobody in the world but you and I
You and I
Ain't nobody in the world but you

You stop the room when we walk in
Spotlight's on, everybody's staring
Tell all of these boys they're wasting their time
Stop standing in line, 'cause you're all mine

And this evening I won't let the feeling die
I never wanna leave your side"

As I finish showering, I pick out my clothes and get ready to meet with Dustin for brunch. We were planning to meet and talk about our next album. But knowing him, he also wants to meet to see how I'm doing from yesterday's dinner.

I grab my keys and lock the place up. It felt lonely to be here, without Jess. And what makes it worse is that this was originally her place. I'm the one that moved in. Makes me feel like I kicked her out of here.

I turn off the radio because I didn't want to hear any more songs that remind me of her. Any kind of love song would bring her to mind...

I arrive at IHOP, where Dustin was waiting for me. He had already ordered our table and we simply had to wait for just a few more minutes.

The nice waitress then asks for our drinks and leaves us alone to talk.
"So, how is she doing?" Dustin asks.

"You mean Jess?" I ask, while I hold the menu.

"No, I mean the beautiful girl I was set up with last night... Of course I meant Jess. Have you talked to her?"

I didn't have to speak for Dustin to tell that I hadn't spoken to her.